Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Can't see XP on Local LAN

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mody

Mody

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:49 PM

Dear members,
My problem is really driving me crazy, i Have a Vista Home Premium Laptop and an XP Pro Desktop both are connected to a speedtouch DSL Router, the problem is simply that no matter what i do the Vista Pc can't connect via network to the XP.
The XP Pc can connect to the Vista but can't ping it, the vista can ping it but can't connect to it (although remote desktop connection works) both PCs have the Nod32 AV and firewall and i have opened the access for the local Netwrok Subnet, still the vista cant see the shared folders of the XP although vice versa the XP can connect and see the shared folders of the Vista!!
I have searched alot for a solution but couldn't find one, and i would really appreciate it if someone can resolve this issue for me. :thumbsup:

Edited by Mody, 08 October 2008 - 05:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bgardner

bgardner

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:45 AM

Hi Mody - I am also having similiar problems I believe in relation to what your asking.

My original post is here, do any of these links people supplied help you at all,

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/162346/need-help-with-file-and-printer-sharing/

They have not helped me and I can still not resolve this issue, maybe someone here can elaborate on step by step directions

#3 Mody

Mody
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2008 - 02:28 PM

Hi bgardner,
Actually these didn't do good either, as stated in my original post i have tried many workarounds but none seem to give the expected result, following is a summary of my problems / findings:
- at first niether of the 2 OSs saw each.
- after installing the IPv6 patch for XP and enabling Netwrok discovery Mode in Vista, Now XP appears on the Network MAP of Vista but isn't accessible.
- Next I changed both to the same Workgroup (Home-LAN). ---- didn't do any good.
- Opened all ports for the local lan subnet 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 --- Yahoo, XP can see vista!
and thats it, XP can access the Vista's Shared folders, but Vista Can't see or access the XP folders, inspite the fact that on Vista i activated all services (telnet, FTP, ICMP,.....) still no good it can't access the XP machine.

And the strange thing is that although the XP can access the Vista, yet it can't ping it!!! while the vista can ping it successfully.

I have reached a real desperation phase here, i think Microsoft didn't design Vista to be bale to communicate with XP !!!!

My work around now is that i have a shared folder on Vista, and i connect to my XP desktop using Remote Desktop connection and start copying files to the Vista Shared Folder!!! dummy solution but thats the best i reached.

I would really appreciate it if someone could be kind enough to explain whats wrong, or atleast confirm my thoughts (Vista Wasn't designed to communicate with Olders MS OSs!!!)

#4 Mody

Mody
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:32 PM

Friends,
I have resolved the issue!!!
Well actually not me, but its resolved and that's whats important. all i did was to download the XP service Pack 3 packeage, and that's all now Vista PC can access the XP PC shared folders and vice versa :flowers:
I thought i should post this to share the knowledge.

But if someone could explain why now after installing XP SP3 everything is working it will be highly appreciated :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users