Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building A New Computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MellowConundrum

MellowConundrum

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 04:10 PM

Hey I'm building a new computer, but can't really decide between AMD and Intel. Intel has the better power but AMD has more of the price range I'm looking for, which is around $150. I see that Intel has some Dual Cores that beat some of their quads with the benchmarks, so I'm not sure which processor would be best. I plan on overclocking (if feasible) and using water cooling (or air) I'm not really that picky.

I'm considering Phenom 9600 (not sure on the black edition or not yet)

Core 2 Duo 8200

And lastly Q6400 by Intel.

All thoughts are welcome. Just keep in mind I am on a budget here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 04:16 PM

hi,,, the core 2 duo 8 series have crap stock heatsink's on them,,, i would also get a better heatsink if your going for one of these, other wise from that there good enough, try for an 8400 though.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:35 PM

Hey I'm building a new computer, but can't really decide between AMD and Intel. Intel has the better power but AMD has more of the price range I'm looking for, which is around $150. I see that Intel has some Dual Cores that beat some of their quads with the benchmarks, so I'm not sure which processor would be best. I plan on overclocking (if feasible) and using water cooling (or air) I'm not really that picky.

I'm considering Phenom 9600 (not sure on the black edition or not yet)

Core 2 Duo 8200

And lastly Q6400 by Intel.

All thoughts are welcome. Just keep in mind I am on a budget here.

Hey Mellow, I own a custom computer I built myself, AMD 2 platform 4200 duo core cpu, 2 gigs of Corsair ram, Seagate 320 gigabyte HD, EVGA e GeForce 8600 GTS graphics, MSI neo v2/v3 mainboard. You will be happy with AMD quad or Duo. Enjoy your build!
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:56 PM

hi,,, just another thought,,, if its an out and out gamer then get a core 2 duo,,, high end GHz insted of a quad,,, it will play games better as long as you also have good graphics and plenty of ram,,, if the build is just an all rounder then as far as intel quads go,,, go for the Q66oo,,, this seems to be the standard intel quad in most shop bought pc's,,, i have one in 1 of my pc's and its quite good,,, dont know what its like oc'd yet though. if money is short then go for the equiverlent AMD,,, there just as good,,, slightly a bit behind intel but well worth the dosh.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:13 PM

I've got a Black Edition 5000. Nice chip. Retail box without heatsink, which is just as well.
I've never used Customer Service with Intel, but I have with AMD and it was a pleasant surprise
That means a lot to me
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 07:06 AM

i have never tried an AMD Mark,,, i do like the looks of the new phenom's,,, there's even a x3 core,,, and the price's look good too.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users