Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help ! Problems with Outlook and Favorites

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 carinsharon

carinsharon

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:11 PM

I had to reinstall windows xp pro. Before I did this I copied my favorites to a flash drive. Also I copied the info for outlook, as I have folders in outlook that I need access to,by going to:

C: > Document & Settings > Administrator > Local Settings > Identities > ( a folder with letters and numbers) > Microsoft > Outlook Express

After I had windows reinstalled, anti-virus installed, computer scanned, updated windows then I copied these files back into the folders. If I go to windows explorer these files show up. If I open up outlook nothing is there. I have important files in the folders I have set up in outlook and need to get them to where I can use them again. The same with my favorites. I couldn't begin to remember web site addresses that I need...How can I get these to show up again?

CarinSharon

Edited by carinsharon, 08 October 2008 - 03:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:36 PM

Do you have the show hidden folders option enabled?
The path for Outlook data files is usually C: > Documents & Settings > "user profile" >local settings>Application Data>Microsoft>Outlook> (pst,archive)
I am assuming that you are looking to restore you Outlook PST or Archives. You should be able to import /open the files with in Outlook.
If you are looking to import the favorites You can just do what you did before by following the same path C: > Documents & Settings > "user profile" >Favorites ( overwrite)

#3 carinsharon

carinsharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 04:15 PM

Enabling hidden folders is the first thing I always do on a reformat....I have already done what you suggested several times and outlook won't recognize my folders...I finally got my favorites to be recognized but still no luck with outlook...I'm ready to pull my hair out as I have been working on it all day long.

A month ago I added all of my husbands favorites and email info with no problems at all...I have done this numerous times with no problems until now..

Any other suggestions?

#4 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 04:29 PM

Just to be clear you can see the Outlook files,and they are psts?

#5 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 04:35 PM

Also were you using Outlook Express before,and are now using Outlook?

#6 carinsharon

carinsharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 04:40 PM

PSTS? They are .dbx files...And yes I used previously and now outlook express... Yes I can see the files in windows explorer, they just aren't showing up in Outlook.

Edited by carinsharon, 08 October 2008 - 04:41 PM.

#7 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:15 PM

So when you try to import you cant see the files?

#8 carinsharon

carinsharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:32 PM

The only options are to import from another Email service....The files I have are copied to a flash drive. This is the way I have always done it. And the only place I can see the files is in windows explorer where I pasted them into the Outlook folder under Local Settings>User Folder>Application Data>Identities>a folder with numbers>Microsoft>Outlook....This is where I can see the files.

If there is supposed to be a pst,archive in the folder there isn't....

#9 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:57 PM

What version of Outlook are you using? We need to be clear on whether or not you are using regular Outlook 200X or Outlook Express as some of the procedures are slightly different. What happens when you do these steps?
1Start Outlook.
2.From the File menu, select Import and Export.
3.From the Choose an Action To Perform list, select Import Internet Mail and Addresses.
4.Click Next.
5.From the Select the Internet Mail Applications To Import From list, select Outlook Express 4.x, 5.x, 6.x.
Is here that you should be able to see your files. Is this where you cant see anything? Sorry for the confusion. :thumbsup:

#10 carinsharon

carinsharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 06:12 PM

I'm using Outlook Express 6.0 and I don't have the options you are talking about. Here is a picture of what I get:

Posted Image

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 06:22 PM

Favorites can simply be installed in the default Favorites folder under Documents & Settings for your new identity. I simply move mine into the new Favorites folder. Same drill for cookies.

You can import your emails into your new email account.

Decent link at http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_move_my_outloo...ew_machine.html

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/us.../importing.mspx

Louis

#12 carinsharon

carinsharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 06:48 PM

Phew !! I finally got it to work..For some reason Outlook just wasn't seeing the folders..So I went into Tools>Options>Maintenance>Store Files....I stuck my flash drive in the computer and then changed the
store folder to the flash drive...Lo and behold the folders showed up...Then I changed the store folder
again back to where it was originally and the files showed up there too and are now viewable in Outlook.

There must have been a glich in Outlook causing the problem, but it is all there and working fine now.

Thanxs for working with me on this...It's very much appreciated.

CarinSharon

#13 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:38 PM

Sorry I wasn't much help I kept thinking you were using Outlook instead of Outlook Express. I though it was strange you could not import since you have done it before.Glad to hear you worked it out.

#14 carinsharon

carinsharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:00 PM

Me too...It's like Outlook had a gliche in it and wouldn't see the folders...Anyway after spending all day trying to get it to work I sure will remember this if it happens again...

Thanxs a lot for the help

CarinSharon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users