Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Spyware detected on desktop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 emccready

emccready

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:04 PM

I have instuctions on how to remove the virus. My problem is that my toshiba satilite will not stay on for more than 2 minutes and i'm not logged in as the administrator. at first it would just continue to restart its self, will not start up in safe mode continues to crash, when selecting do not shutdown after system falure, a blue screen comes up with: a problem as been detected... check to be sure you have adequate disk space.... technical information STOP: 0x0000008e.... being dumps of physical memory physical memory dump complete. If there is anyway to get it to stay on so that i can remove my important files, thats all i want, i don't care about the computer just my files!!! any help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:55 PM

STOP: 0x0000008e....

Please post the full contents of the error message.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 04:41 PM

Try booting into Safe Mode.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 emccready

emccready
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 04:46 PM

crashes in safe mode and restarts in normal mode, then crashes 2 minutes later, will not stay on for more than 2 minutes

#5 emccready

emccready
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 04:47 PM

will not stay on in any mode, tried them all

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 04:54 PM

Insert your Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 emccready

emccready
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:06 PM

where do i type in chkdsk /r
and will this affect my current programs and files

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:15 PM

After you enter the admin password you will get to a sort of a DOS prompt. That's where you type: chkdsk /r.

It won't affect your programs and files. chkdsk /r locates bad sectors and recovers readable information from the hard drive.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 emccready

emccready
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:31 PM

thanks i'll give it a try fingers crossed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users