Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer won't recognize keyboard

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 grannypj

grannypj

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 30 April 2005 - 02:03 PM

after a week of insanity having been hijacked but finally gotten the machine clean - I think - the computer [Gateway 2000 Pentium II running M.E. online on C drive; D drive has XP and not online -need more MHz to secure it] the keyboard I was using just goes beep beep beep [ yeah, beeping computer literally ] so I am stuck using this ancient antique Packard Bell keyboard with an enter key that sticks. Thought maybe I did something to the keyboard. Bought a brand new one - same model as was working last week. Same beep beep beep. GRRRRR any ideas???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2005 - 02:18 PM

What brand and model keyboard are you having problems with?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 grannypj

grannypj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2005 - 02:38 PM

Micro Innovations model KB400i 108 key Windows keyboard
It was working fine last week until I got hijacked by Intelligent Explorer.
I upgraded Ad-Aware and added Spy-Bot Search & Destroy and it took
several runs and now everything is working except the keyboard is not recognized.

#4 grannypj

grannypj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2005 - 02:53 PM

and while we're at it ...anyone recognize a program named Wtoalyf.exe?
It showed up at the same time. I have removed it several times and still it comes back. I might be picking it up on a website I frequent but I can't find it on Webopedia, Symantec, or M$ and it doesn't google. Along with it is frequently calc.exe which one would think is my calculator but it has not been there before, and the calculator works fine without it.

#5 putasolutions

putasolutions

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 30 April 2005 - 03:06 PM

If you can't find a file on Google, then you can pretty safely say that it is up to no good

I would suggest you you follow the instructions here on how to post a hijack this log. Post your Hijack this log to the Hijack this forum

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2005 - 03:11 PM

Have you tried install/add hardware in the control panel settings? I checked and there is no specific software that came with the keyboard.

(Please refrain from posting more than one question or problem to a thread, since the later problems tend to get "lost" in the chain of replies or ignored in the dialogue about the first problem. It can also delay finding the solution to the first problem)

I found nothing on Wtoalyf; what is the path to it?
Calc.exe is an optional program that allows you to make basic mathematical calculations. See:

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintas...sslibrary/calc/

Regards,
John

#7 grannypj

grannypj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2005 - 03:44 PM

I hope you will all be forgiving as I stumble along figuring out how to use this site. It is the first one I have found I can even read and I don't know what "hijack this log" is to post one. Have a lot more homework to do. Will have to write down the Wtoalyf path next time it shows up - it's in Windows but I don't know which one. I am going to try the add hardware thing with the keyboard. THANKS

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2005 - 04:10 PM

Don't worry about stumbling, there will be friendly members willing to help you up.

1. Putasolutions provided a link with complete instructions for posting a log generated by an application you will have to download and run (don't worry, step by step instructions are provided), to the HJT (HiJackThis! is the name of the program) forum. BC has a gallant and knowledgeable team of volunteers who will review that log to see if it reports anything bad, and will then help you remove them.

2. Please doublecheck Wtoalyf to make sure you wrote it down correctly.

3. Let us know if you are still having problems with the keyboard.

Cheers,
John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users