Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP is SLLOOOWWW

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LadyinPA

LadyinPA

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 02:31 PM

Hi,
My Win XP is so slow, it's driving me crazy.

So far, I've checked the performance area to see if I had too much stuff on the hard drive. It is showing 1133 Gb free and 15 G used. I do disk maintenance regularly.

I have also run spy bot, Ad aware, and upgraded my spyware from AVG to The Sheild. Nothing really turns up when I run any of these programs. I also ran the startup utility, and again, nothing really shows up as abnormal.

I don't know where else to look. In the performance (control-alt-delete), it shows 39 process running and often shows my CPU near capacity. The CPU is 2.80 Ghz, 448 MB ram. It is the same as the other computer, which is still lightening fast. This one gets so bogged down and slow to do the simplest things, you can get coffee while you wait for it to load. It's like being on dial-up when you're on the Internet.

What else can I do to get this thing up to speed? I'm ready to throw it out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 02:39 PM

In the Processes tab in Task Manager, look for any process that has a CPU number that isn't 00 other than System Idle Process, which should normally be at 99. Anything that's not showing 00 is taking up processor cycles, and could potentially be a problem process taking up your system resources.
Posted Image

#3 smohsen

smohsen

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 02:45 PM

may be your anti virus is slow ur win
1 question
when u installed windows?
5 week ago or ....?
I am always your's

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:29 PM

Well...the RAM seems obvious (IMO).

I would run at least 3 times that amount.

It's unfair to compare one system to another unless everything (settings, installed programs, hardware, etc.) are exactly the same.

If you put more RAM in, it will seem a different system. For comparative purposes (today), I had run with 1GB on this system...I just added the other 1GB and the system is considerably faster at doing the things I do (moving files, etc.).

Louis

#5 LadyinPA

LadyinPA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:51 PM

I can put more RAM in, obviously, but the two systems are comprable in the way they are configured and with the tasks they run. The second system isn't anywhere near as slow as this one, leading me to suspect something is wrong with the first machine that RAM might not fix.

I'm getting a lot of those Not Responding bars whenever I go to click on sometihng for the browser or even Word. The screensaver (a scrolling word set with the Windows default screen, again, for years) freezes all the time now. It's just random.

I am going to go through and delete the processes as suggested and will let you know how it goes.

Windows has been on the machine for three years with no trouble until recently. I upgraded to the Sheild last month because the new AVG kept giving me error messages when I went to download the upgrades.

Is there anything else I can do?

Edited by LadyinPA, 08 October 2008 - 05:52 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 06:08 PM

I believe the key to this is that your system "often shows my CPU near capacity"

I presume that you're using the graph in the Performance tab of Task Manager to view this.
If so, switch to the Processes tab and double click on the CPU column header. The process that's using the most cycles there (other than System Idle Process) is likely to be the culprit. Most often I'll find that this is a file from Norton or McAfee.

Post back with the Image name for the top bunch of offending process' and we'll see what we can work out.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 06:08 PM

10 Reasons Why Your Computer Runs Slow - - http://www.bestsecuritytips.com/xfsection+...rticleid+43.htm

4 Ways to Speed Up Your Computer's Performance - http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/getstarted/speed.mspx

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 October 2008 - 06:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users