Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Starting a Social Network Site

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 steve330

steve330

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:53 AM

I have a few ideas for a social networking site however I am not an expert in this area obviously! I am trying to get the step by step version or assistance in what needs to happen. I know I need a domain Name and all. but then one question is do I host or try to have my own server? I know with hosting I need to find one that will provide what I need. but then with that I am not sure of all that i need. Even if I did know it might change as this grows. So I am OK with having to change and move things if needed. What would be really nice is to get hooked up with people how have done this before. Not sure if that will happen but any help and even pointing me in the right direction would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:37 AM

Before worrying about a domain, before worrying about hosting, and before worrying about a server, you actually need the site. You don't manufacture automobiles by building the racetrack first. Software development is the same, no matter the project. You start with an idea, you figure out how you want to carry out your idea, then you figure out programmaticly how you might carry out your idea. Then you do an in-depth outline and analysis of your program structure and try to predict potential bottlenecks and problems. Once you have all of that worked out, then you look to existing technology to see what is available to help you carry out your idea, and if it does not exist, then you need to figure out how to create it. Then you need to sit down and figure out how someone would use the web site/application, and figure out what you would need to do from a programming standpoint in order to carry out those use cases.

Large projects should always begin with a complete blueprint. you don't want to have to "change things" midway through a project because of some unforeseen circumstance.Then you might be able to actually start writing some code.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users