Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't boot into safe mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kikki fail

kikki fail

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 04:55 AM

I had a bad virus on my computer (I had darksma and Nuwar B.) and I wanted to boot it into safe mode. So I tried and everytime I tried it wouldn't work. I kept getting this message on a blue screen saying my video driver failed to initialize and it shut down automatically but it would boot up normal if I didn't try to go into safe mode.

So I read that you could set your computer to automatically boot into safe mode from msconfig so I went in and set it to boot into safe mode automatically every time I powered up. So I turned off my computer and tried to.

After I did that my computer would start up the Dell screen would show and then it would automatically bring up the menu for the F8 key even though I had not pressed it. No matter what I'd do, no matter what option I selected the blue screen with the error about my video driver comes up and it shuts down automatically.

I'm using XP home btw

I have booted from the XP CD run Fixboot and Chkdsk /p and bootcfg /default in the recovery console. Those commands did not help as it still showed me the F8 screen when I started up.

I tried to do a repair install. AFter the repair instal, when I booted up my computer the F8 menu no longer came up automatically, it seemed to procede normally but then the blue screen error came up before it could load windows and it shut down.

I have tried so many things I don't know what else to do. Any other help is GREATLY appreciated.

EDIT:

This is the technical information it shows onthe blue screen

Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x000000B4 (0x822A6280, 0x821DC000, 0x821DA000, 0x00050000)

Edited by kikki fail, 08 October 2008 - 04:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:57 AM

Can you go into your BIOS and see if it is showing a HDD? If not scroll down to HDD, press enter then select Auto.

Sometimes that is a Problem?

Other times it can be an Upper Memory Virus, used to be quite common in earlier Machines, died away, but seem to be coming back? They are easily fixed by draining the CSMOS.

See if the BIOS detects the HDD first and Post back.

Edited by Abacus 7, 08 October 2008 - 07:59 AM.

#3 kikki fail

kikki fail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:42 AM

It does I think. Underneath the boot thing, it says that it sees the hard disk drive.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:17 AM

A STOP 0xB4 error is due to a video driver failure. I've seen this alot in eMachines - and in concert with a STOP 0xF4 error.
Could be related to the virus, or could be a mobo issue.

If you can get into Windows (either Safe or normal modes), try uninstalling your video drivers from the Control Panel...Add/Remove Programs applet. Then go into Device Manager and uninstall your Display Adapter.

Meanwhile, use another computer to download the latest video driver for your video card and copy it to a CD or flash drive. If the above procedure seems to fix things, then install the freshly downloaded driver on your system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users