Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a gaming monitor under 500 dollars

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Engine21

Engine21

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 04:41 AM

Hey guys. For awhile now, I've been looking for a new monitor. The one I have just doesn't cut it for me for games and other things. I can't spend anything past 500 dollars, and I would probably like it lower than that if at all possible. I already have a system I'm going to get, but here are some of the things I would like on a new monitor:

20" screen or above
HD if possible
High Dynamic Contrast Ratio
Low Response time (under 5ms)
Displays PC games and online games just as well as basic operations such as text on Word and presentations with Power Point
And like I said under 500 but preferably in the 300 and up range.

I haven't had much help on other forums so far, so I would really appreciate some help here. Seriously, any help will do. I'm getting very desperate right now. Anyways,

Thanks again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:10 AM

The hot 24" monitor out now with good image quality that's fast enough for gaming is the BenQ V2400W
1920x1200 resolution, HDCP, has dsub, DVI, and HDMI. Price is about 400USD.

The manufacturer states the response time is 2ms and the contrast ratio is 4000:1. Although you can pretty much ignore all of the manufacturer specs except for the native resolution because that's the one thing they can't lie about. Everything else is basically overstated or exaggerated. Response time doesn't mean anything because not only is there the response time of the panel, but you have to factor in the input lag coming in from the electronics. No manufacturer states that, you'll basically have to check reviews or see it yourself to see how fast a monitor really is. Tests have put the 2400's lag as a minimum of 0ms, an average of 8ms, and a max of 20ms, and those are really decent specs, usually quite suitable enough for the hardcore gamer. See the test here: http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=...=3801&ph=12

For a less expensive model there's the LG 227WTG, goes for $300-$350.
It's a 22", 1680x1050. Dsub and DVI w/ HDCP.
This should make an excellent hardcore game LCD since some reports show this one has having zero input lag.

Both of these LCDs are TN panels so their color reproduction and viewing angles are not as good as monitors made with IPS panels for example, but those usually don't have the response time adequate enough for gamers, an exception being this 25" Planer, but that's an $800 monitor. If you're not doing things that require strict color reproduction like print and photo editing though, TN panels are usually just fine.
Check for more info on response time / input lag and panel differences over in the anandtech LCD thread if you'd like.
Posted Image

#3 matthewdf

matthewdf

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:44 PM

I just built a computer and included this monitor for the customer. Click Here . It has wonderful color. No dead/stuck pixels. I would highly recommend it. As with the previous comment, I would also not pay too much attention to the specs that the manufacturer reports because they are just a little biased.

#4 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 07:44 AM

I just built a computer and included this monitor for the customer. Click Here . It has wonderful color. No dead/stuck pixels. I would highly recommend it. As with the previous comment, I would also not pay too much attention to the specs that the manufacturer reports because they are just a little biased.

Hey Matthew: I too build custom computers, Samsung is great, why not buy a Samsung DTV, they have PC input 32" is close to $500.00 now, huh?
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#5 srenwo

srenwo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2008 - 03:16 AM

Hey Engine21, why not go try checking the monitor ratings. I'm sure it will help you a lot.

Good luck.

#6 Engine21

Engine21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:48 AM

Thank you gentlemen. I appreciate it! :thumbsup:

#7 Pray For Snow

Pray For Snow

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:44 PM

20" + under $500 is easy, I adivse you to check out the brand "sceptre" they have a 22" with a 2 ms response time for about $200. here are 24" and even higher for MUCH under $500 on newegg. good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users