Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

5 minute + bootup

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Trojandave

Trojandave

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:31 PM

When I start my computer everything appears to load quickly (including my Gmail notifier, which quickly tells me what new emails I have) except McAfee Security Center takes over 5 minutes. While I'm waiting for it to load, opening documents or programs takes forever. And if I open an internet browser, it tells me there is no web connection and I can't load any sites. Also, the network icon in the task bar shows me as not being connected. Strange though, since my Gmail notifier loads fast and gives me the most up to date info on my email account.

I don't know if this is a system shell issue, a virus, or just some bug somewhere. It's been going on for about a month and I've been keeping track of all my startup applications - nothing unusual there. When I used to run a registry scan and correct all the issues, my computer would start quickly. But then usually on the very next restart it would be back to its old ways. Now the registry scan doesn't help. I also run AdAware and Spybot - they don't help either.

Could McAfee be the cause, or its slow load just a side effect of something more sinister?

This is really annoying and there's nothing worse than turning on a computer and having to wait 5 to 10 minutes to do anything on it. Please help

My specs are as follows:
Dell 1720
Windows Vista 32 bit Home Premium
-with Service Pack 1
Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 processor (2.2ghz)
3.00 gigs of RAM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:17 PM

McAfee is known for being a huge resource hog. It might be doing some kind of scan or update that slows the PC during start up.

3939.png

#3 Trojandave

Trojandave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:20 PM

It didn't used to do this. I've had the computer for a year and it just started this about a month ago. Any idea on how I can fix it?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:23 PM

McAfee can get corrupted and display the symptoms that you describe.
Uninstall it to see if that fixes the problem.
Download a new copy of McAfee (or another security product) and install it to ensure that you remain protected.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Trojandave

Trojandave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2008 - 01:35 AM

Ok I thought the reinstall worked because when I restarted, the computer booted very quickly (in fact McAfee was the first program to load). But after another restart it went back to its old habits... Just like when I'd run a registry edit and fix it for only 1 restart.

(The good news is it's only about a 2-minute boot up time now instead of 5... But it's still annoying, and for all I know it's gonna get worse. 2 minutes can't be the best I can hope for, can it? I mean everything else is loaded and ready to go in 10 seconds. Then I just wait for McAfee to load before the internet works...)

Any other ideas?

Edited by Trojandave, 10 October 2008 - 10:40 AM.

#6 Trojandave

Trojandave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 02:03 AM

So no ideas from anyone?

Then can someone recommend a good alternative to McAfee?? Is it worth getting a free antivirus or are those not as good? I've heard about Kaspersky too - is that the top one? Worth the price?

Thanks

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:05 PM

Kaspersky is a good product, but I use Avast Free on my systems at home.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 01:38 AM

Well, usama want to tell you, that you need to change your antivirus...Im now using Norton IS 2009, which now not slowing down PC...Usually i get my pc too load up in ~48 sec. (Also running Norton Anti-Bot and Threatfire)

#9 Trojandave

Trojandave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:02 PM

I downloaded Avast and everything is much better. Thanks for all the help, guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users