Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Track Eraser?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:29 PM

I don't know exactly what it's called I'm looking for. But I know that when you delete a file from your computer, and from your recycle bin that it can still be recovered. I guess what I'm looking for is something that will erase all that stuff, so that it's very difficult/impossible to recover. Anyone know of anything? Thanks lots!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:36 PM

There are a few here Permanently Erase

#3 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:50 PM

I guess another name for them are file shredders.
Spybot S&D, a antispyware program, has a file shredder application built into it that will overwrite files as many times as you want. Plus, it's a good free antispyware that I like! So, it's two-in-one!

#4 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:42 PM

No, I want something to "scan" my hard drive for files that have already been deleted, then permanently delete them. Thanks!

#5 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 13 October 2008 - 11:32 PM

Oh, then as far as I know, you are going to have to get software that will recover those files, then use some application to permanently delete those files.
In the list of freeware apps, there's PC INSPECTOR.

Edited by trashcan7, 13 October 2008 - 11:35 PM.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 10:19 AM

There are a few programs that will "bleach" or "wipe" the white or free space of your drive so the old files cannot be recovered. This process takes a VERY long time. Nothing else should be running on your computer when you use it. The one I'm most familiar with is put out by Cyberscrub. However, the program isn't free.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 06:57 AM

One free program that I don't see mentioned very often is Eraser. It is especially useful to clean the free space of your hard drive. It has many user options for deletion of files and free space wipe including Guttmann 35 pass (Default), Pseudorandom Data (you can select the number of passes) and US DoD 5220-22.M methods. It also lets you remove data from the cluster tip area of files and is capable of completely wiping a hard drive using 'Darik's Boot and Nuke' method. It does include a scheduler for user defined tasks. Erasing free space can be a very slow process depending on your free space and the number of over-write passes made. Installing the program and right clicking on the recycle bin will allow you options to use Eraser to empty the recycle bin. Make sure you have set your options correctly before running or you can destroy the contents of your hard drive.

For day to day removal of files and cleaning my hard drive of junk I have found CCleaner to be a very effective tool. It is very easy to use and allows you to the preselect type of files (cookies, temp, etc.) to remove and the over-write method. It also includes a registry cleaner with a good reputation but I will not recommend the use of a registry cleaner here due to the serious consequences that can occur.

Eraser
http://www.heidi.ie/node/6

CCleaner
http://www.ccleaner.com/

#8 HamSandwich

HamSandwich

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2008 - 10:29 AM

I agree with CCleaner. I use this program every night after a full day's worth of browser usage, downloading files, deleting files, etc. You can manually set the overwrite limit (I believe up to 35 pass) and select between a good number of options of things to clean. It will detect with programs you have installed that are "Cleanable" (IE, Opera, Firefox, Winrar, regedit, clipboard, MS Paint, etc.) as well as the recycle bin and temporary files. I have found the cleaner to be quite effective. Also, it can do a registry cleaner that works pretty well. It is cautioned not to clean the registry simply because it can be easily messed up, but I have had no problems the 6 months that I've had the program. It also has an uninstall list similar to Add/Remove Programs list as well as a start-up list of programs that start with your computer (very useful if you do not know how to check it in msconfig).
You can add Ccleaner to the Right-click context menu, have it set to run on start-up (though I don't since it does not inherently have an "always-on" cleaner, only on-demand), and have it auto update. It doesn't use a lot fo resources, and it loads very quickly. I would definitely recommend it for everyday tasks. There are other programs out there that are more intense and secure, but this is an excellent freeware program that I personally use all the time.
Check out Piriform, the company which makes CCleaner. They have other programs that I use, as well, that might be useful to you: Recuva (File recovering program for deleted files) and Defraggler (Defragging program that seems to be more thorough than the WinXP one).
http://www.piriform.com/

#9 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:51 AM

Hey HamSandwich!

I agree about CCleaner. Great tool! And thanks for the tips on other of their software and the piriform link!

I have a question which I hope is on topic here. Why do people set an erase mechanism to make 35 passes? If an evidence recovery program is run over the disk, does this mean that by making 35 passes, it will be back to the evidence?

Zllio

#10 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:41 PM

I'm guessing that the more passes it makes, the less of the file that remains. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

#11 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:12 PM

For anyone interested and doesn't mind some serious reading.

Here is a link to Peter Gutmann's paper on secure deletion of data from magnetic media. Peter developed the 35 pass theory for secure data deletion. The 35 pass theory was developed to prevent data recovery even when forensics analysis is used. It was written over 10 years ago and there is a camp that believes data recovery is still possible. In the last 10 years hard drive technology and recovery methods have changed.

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/secure_del.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users