Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

roughriders

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lucky71

lucky71

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 03 August 2004 - 09:47 AM

Hi folks,

My pc insists to redirect me to irritating adult sites.

I have McAfee Antivirus and Lavasoft Ad-Aware but none of them are doing anything about it.

I saw on my desktop that someone created an icon named "roughriders".

Also, I found an ".exe" program on C:\program files\wmx\dialers\roughriders\ and I did not install this on my pc!!!

Could anyone help me please?

(sorry about my not so good English... I´m a Brazilian guy)

Thank you very much.
lucky71

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 03 August 2004 - 10:19 AM

Please follow these steps in order to clean your computer of Malware which can include Viruses, Trojans, Worms, Spyware, Hijackers and Dialers.

Step 1:
Download Spybot and Adaware from the following locations and install them. You should run both programs and clean up what it finds. This is to gaurantee that you find the most malware you can installed on your computer.

Before running the scans on both programs, it is mandatory that you update the programs. There are update options in each program when you run them.

Spybot

Ad-aware

If you would like to learn more about how to use these two programs with the proper settings you can read the tutorials below:

Using Ad-aware to remove Spyware, Malware, & Hijackers from Your Computer.

Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware, Malware, & Hijackers from Your Computer.

When you scan with both programs, fix everything that it finds.

When you are done with the scan and fixing the items. Please continue with the next step.

Step 2:

It is important that you run Spybot and Adaware before you proceed with this step. Fixing enties with Hijackthis may leave behind unwanted files on your computer if the previous step was not done first.

Create a directory on your hardrive to save HijackThis.exe. A directory like c:\hijackthis. If you do not do this, you will not be able to use the backup/restore features.

Download HijackThis from:

HijackThis Download Site #1

or

HijackThis Download Site #2

Save this file into the directory you made previously and then run the program. Click on the Scan button and when it is finished click on the Save Log button. A Notepad window will open with the contents of this log. Click on Edit then click on Select all. Then click on Edit and then Click on Copy.

Create a new topic in the Hijackthis Logs forum, and right click in message area and select paste to paste the log into the post.

Someone will reply to you after reading this post. DO NOT fix any entries unless you understand what you are doing.

To see a tutorial on using HijackThis you can click on the link below:

Using HijackThis to Remove Spyware, Browser Hijackers, and Dialers

#3 lucky71

lucky71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2004 - 11:27 AM

Dear Grinler,

Thank you for your quickly response. I´ll try to follow the steps that you´ve described and inform you the results later.

Regards.
lucky71

#4 lucky71

lucky71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2004 - 08:49 PM

Grinler,

I have already done the steps that you described in your message.

Please, help me with the messages listed below:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.1
Scan saved at 22:39:43, on 3/8/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Arquivos de programas\UOL\Acelerador UOL\vcn.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\Arquivos de programas\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe
C:\Arquivos de programas\Network Associates\VirusScan\Mcshield.exe
C:\Arquivos de programas\Network Associates\VirusScan\VsTskMgr.exe
C:\Arquivos de programas\Arquivos comuns\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\ARQUIV~1\MediaKey\MMKeybd.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTHELPER.EXE
C:\Arquivos de programas\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\Arquivos de programas\Creative\ShareDLL\CtNotify.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb07.exe
C:\Arquivos de programas\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Arquivos de programas\Network Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE
C:\Arquivos de programas\Network Associates\Common Framework\UpdaterUI.exe
C:\Arquivos de programas\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe
C:\Arquivos de programas\Creative\ShareDLL\MediaDet.exe
C:\Arquivos de programas\UOL\Acelerador UOL\AcUOLClt.exe
C:\Arquivos de programas\Thomson\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe
C:\Arquivos de programas\Winamp\winampa.exe
C:\Program Files\WMx\Dialers\RoughRiders_br\RoughRiders_br.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\Arquivos de programas\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\Arquivos de programas\Sony Corporation\Image Transfer\SonyTray.exe
C:\Arquivos de programas\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Arquivos de programas\AntiPop-up UOL\ubphost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\ARQUIV~1\WINZIP\winzip32.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\YVES CARDOSO\Configurações locais\Temp\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://radaruol.uol.com.br/ie/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = &http://home.microsoft.com/intl/br/access/allinone.asp
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.uol.com.br/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = &http://home.microsoft.com/intl/br/access/allinone.asp
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = &http://home.microsoft.com/intl/br/access/allinone.asp
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Arquivos de programas\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Arquivos de programas\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Rádio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: AntiPop-up UOL - {5BBFC00A-312C-4777-A5DF-DDA65C67120C} - C:\Arquivos de programas\AntiPop-up UOL\ubp.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMKeybd] C:\ARQUIV~1\MediaKey\MMKeybd.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WINDVDPatch] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Jet Detection] "C:\Arquivos de programas\Creative\SBLive\PROGRAM\ADGJDet.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTStartup] C:\Arquivos de programas\Creative\Splash Screen\CTEaxSpl.EXE /run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Arquivos de programas\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Disc Detector] C:\Arquivos de programas\Creative\ShareDLL\CtNotify.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb07.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Arquivos de programas\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ShStatEXE] "C:\Arquivos de programas\Network Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE" /STANDALONE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfeeUpdaterUI] "C:\Arquivos de programas\Network Associates\Common Framework\UpdaterUI.exe" /StartedFromRunKey
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "C:\Arquivos de programas\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ad-aware] "C:\ARQUIV~1\Lavasoft\AD-AWA~1\Ad-aware.exe" +c
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AceleradorUOL] "C:\Arquivos de programas\UOL\Acelerador UOL\AcUOLClt.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpeedTouch USB Diagnostics] "C:\Arquivos de programas\Thomson\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe" /icon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] C:\Arquivos de programas\Winamp\winampa.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoughRiders_br] C:\Program Files\WMx\Dialers\RoughRiders_br\RoughRiders_br.exe /dontdial
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NVIEW] rundll32.exe nview.dll,nViewLoadHook
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Arquivos de programas\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Doctor] "C:\Arquivos de programas\Spyware Doctor\spydoctor.exe" /Q
O4 - Global Startup: Image Transfer.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download with &DAP - C:\ARQUIV~1\DAP\dapextie.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download &all with DAP - C:\ARQUIV~1\DAP\dapextie2.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xportar para o Microsoft Excel - res://C:\ARQUIV~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Liberar pop-ups desta página - res://C:\Arquivos de programas\AntiPop-up UOL\ubp.dll/3028
O8 - Extra context menu item: Liberar pop-ups deste site - res://C:\Arquivos de programas\AntiPop-up UOL\ubp.dll/3027
O9 - Extra button: Pesquisar - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\ARQUIV~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Arquivos de programas\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Arquivos de programas\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O14 - IERESET.INF: SEARCH_PAGE_URL=&http://home.microsoft.com/intl/br/access/allinone.asp
O16 - DPF: {6F7864F9-DB33-11D3-8166-0060B0F885E6} (VSPTA Class) - https://cert.bancodobrasil.com.br/VSApps/vspta3.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/d052c1d...all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {D9CE2963-8547-4C18-A4CE-DA27278310D8} (Instalador Remoto UOL) - http://download.uol.com.br/discadorUOL/lig...tiveInstall.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{76262AB8-874B-4731-8FF4-39E1B252A151}: NameServer = 200.204.0.10 200.204.0.138

I am waiting for your next advices / steps. Thank you very much.
lucky71

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2004 - 09:17 PM

You are currently using hijackthis from a temp directory. This can cause problems. Please create a directory on your c: drive called c:\hijackthis and download and unzip hijackthis into that directory. Run the program from that directory from now on.

For a tutorial on how to use HijackThis please see the following link:

Using HijackThis to Remove Spyware, Browser Hijackers, and Dialers

I want you to fix some of those entries. Please do the following:

Please make sure that you can view all hidden files. Instructions on how to do this can be found here:

How to see hidden files in Windows

Run Hijackthis again, click scan, and Put a checkmark next to each of these. Then click the Fix button
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoughRiders_br] C:\Program Files\WMx\Dialers\RoughRiders_br\RoughRiders_br.exe /dontdial

Reboot your computer into Safe Mode.

Then delete these files or directories (Do not be concerned if they do not exist)
C:\Program Files\WMx\

Disable System Restore. You can find instructions on how to enable and reenable system restore here:

Managing Windows Millenium System Restore
or

Windows XP System Restore Guide

Renable system restore with instructions from tutorial above

Reboot your computer to go back to normal mode and post a new log.

#6 lucky71

lucky71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2004 - 08:58 AM

Grinler,

Thank you very much for your advice.

I followed the steps that you suggested and it seems that the problem was eliminated. Thank you again.

However, the Spybot Search & Destroy scan found the following:

DSO Exploit: Data source object exploit (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2130232477-1853950591-3694803008-1005\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

--- Spybot - Search && Destroy version: 1.3 ---
2004-07-09 Includes\Cookies.sbi
2004-07-28 Includes\Dialer.sbi
2004-07-27 Includes\Hijackers.sbi
2004-07-27 Includes\Keyloggers.sbi
2004-05-12 Includes\LSP.sbi
2004-07-27 Includes\Malware.sbi
2004-07-09 Includes\Revision.sbi
2004-07-02 Includes\Security.sbi
2004-07-27 Includes\Spybots.sbi
2004-07-28 Includes\Tracks.uti
2004-07-27 Includes\Trojans.sbi

After that I clicked the "fix selected problems" button and the problem was eliminated. But using the Spybot scan again, the same problem (DSO Exploit) was found. Note that I used the scan five times. The problem is eliminate but it appears again, every time.

What should I do? Can you help me?

Thank you very much.
lucky71

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2004 - 09:31 AM

The DSO Exploit is a bug in Spybot S&D. If you have your sytem updated with the latest patches you are fine.

Here is some information from their support forum http://forums.net-integration.net/index.ph...hl=dso+exploits

Now that you are clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:
  • Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    • Click once on the Security tab
    • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    • Click once on the Custom Level button.
      • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
      • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
      • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
      • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
      • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
      • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
      • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
      • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
  • Use an AntiVirus Software - It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future.

See this link for a listing of some online & their stand-alone antivirus programs:

Virus, Spyware, and Malware Protection and Removal Resources

• Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperitive that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

• Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over. I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.

For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:

Understanding and Using Firewalls

• Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

• Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Install and download Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option. This will provide realtime spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software.

A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware , Malware, and Hijackers

• Install Ad-Aware - Install and download Ad-Aware. ou should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software in conjunction with Spybot.

Using Ad-aware to remove Spyware, Malware, & Hijackers from Your Computer

• Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.

Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware

• Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.
Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

Glad I was able to help.

#8 lucky71

lucky71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2004 - 09:53 AM

Grinler,

Thank you very much for solving my pc problems. I will follow the next steps that you advised and try to keep my pc clean and more secure. Thank you again. :thumbsup:
lucky71

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users