Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer just started randomly rebooting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cmdr keen

cmdr keen

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:01 PM

I have an old Dell Dimension 4600 w/ WinXP, 2.8ghz processor and 2.5 gigs ram. All things considered, the computer was been running fine. I haven't added/removed any hardware or software recently, but while listening to iTunes and browsing via Firefox the thing rebooted... was fine for 30 minutes before rebooting and now this seems to be a habit (uptime has been anywhere from 3 minutes to 1hr).

The PS fan is running, and doesn't appear hot, stressed, or overworked. The memory has been fine for some time... I suspected some months ago that one module was bad/faulty, but I took it out this evening and still got the random rebooting.

When I checked the Event Viewer I noticed that every time it crashed there was the same error:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7001
Date: 10/7/2008
Time: 7:35:53 PM
User: N/A
Computer:
Description:
The Print Spooler service depends on the LexBce Server service which failed to start because of the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

There are no ?'s or !'s in the Device Manager, fwiw. I've tried Google but to no avail. I don't have a printer and don't need one, so if deleting all printer-related drivers would help I can definitely do that if needed. But I don't know what a Print Spooler service is nor a LexBce Server service, etc...

Any ideas?

Edit: I've also run AdAware & Spybot and removed whatever popped up... though SpyBot found some stuff it was apparently unable to remove. Either way, the descriptions of them seemed relatively benign, some data tracker stuff and so forth -- nothing that seemed like it would force re-starts randomly. Maybe I'm wrong though and mal/spyware is to blame still, I'm not sure.

Edited by cmdr keen, 07 October 2008 - 07:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:41 PM

I'd suspect overheating

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:04 PM

You can check to see if everything is running the way its supposed to by using the manufactures diagnostic CD. In your case (Dimension 4600) can be found here Diagnostic CD From there you can create a bootable CD that will perform complete test on your system and hopefully point out an issue.

In regards to your error it is referring to a printing issue. It may be that the spooler service is trying to run. You can stop the spooling service by doing the following at the command prompt:

START>RUN>CMD ( brings you to the command prompt)
Then enter the following comands:
net stop spooler
exit

Also LexBce Server is a printing software that Dell pre-installs it is actually quite annoying. Microsoft describes here how to remove it.Removing LexBce I dont think you need it as you stated here:

I don't have a printer and don't need one, so if deleting all printer-related drivers would help I can definitely do that if needed.

Edited by ice2921, 07 October 2008 - 08:05 PM.

#4 cmdr keen

cmdr keen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:05 PM

Thanks for the help so far. I checked the Lexmark service per the Windows website, but it was already disabled and not running. I used cmd to check the print spooler is also said it wasn't running either. I will have to look into making a diagnostic CD tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users