Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG E-mail scanner, What is shell extension ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 05:12 PM

My AVGe-mail scanner wa not active, I have an e-mail that is suspect, since it was in my mail box, and was not scanned,
I activated the AVG e-mail scanner and saved the em to my desk top, then clicked it for the AVG em scan, it has an attachment, the scanner scaned the em, and stated that, the Shell extension scan is finished, . . . did it scan the attachment ?

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 05:35 PM

If I were you, and you suspect it! Trust your instincts, Delete it :thumbsup:

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 05:47 PM

You are correct is saying this, but I think I should explain something;

I made a purchase on the internet, for a bike engine part, 19 + dollars, I used a Credit Card, somehow pay pal was involved in he purchase transaction either that or they may have used a pay pal icon, . .

I got an obscene reply, with the comment The guy left the U.S. and was Mexico !

I contacted Visa an tried Pay Pal, BTW Pay pal makes it impossible to receive information of this kind, be forewarned !

But, . . . I have this email from the same company and it has the personal name in the address, and it is in replky to my original request, I am wondering if it is a legite answer.

I'd really like t know, could I set the secrity level on high or what ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#4 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:12 PM

Hi Jove, you said

somehow pay pal was involved in he purchase transaction either that or they may have used a pay pal icon, . .

if you didn't log in to your pay pal account to send any money you would Know. please tell me you didn't give your credit card details using an insecure site?
Talk to them on the phone. ASAP ( do it )

#5 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:09 PM

I called Visa and told them about it, I did give the credit card information, the charge was on the card,

it does have protection from fraud and scam, but they mentioned Pay Pal for some reason, I do not remember giving my pass word for Pay Pal, I did send them a spoof report, however I also spoke to them on the phone and they refered me to the web site, their direction were or seemed somewhat different then what I found there. I could not get a report through, they aske me for some type of verification number.
The only numbers I had were ;

Receipt ID: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
An email with your order summary has been sent to ----------------
Your order is being shipped to
____
_______
United States
Merchant Contact Information
xxxxxxxxxxx
Unfortunately the e-mail that this came from has been deleted, I can't find it.

I am not sure what thes people are going to do with the credit card number ?? I have the feeling from the crude messages they sent to me via e-mail, that they are not in the U.S.
He said at one time he was in Mexico, the last letter stated he was in Puerto Rico.

Edited by Grinler, 07 October 2008 - 08:34 PM.
Removed billing information.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#6 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 04:59 PM

I am not sure what thes people are going to do with the credit card number ?? I have the feeling from the crude messages they sent to me via e-mail, that they are not in the U.S.
He said at one time he was in Mexico, the last letter stated he was in Puerto Rico.

Hi Jove, Get the credit card stooped immediately, you did the right thing in reporting it to them. they will have records to show were the information on the card has been used. As for your computer your passwords may be compromised you need to change them all, and don't do it on your own computer. this is just my own advice I think its sound. but your fellow members will also read this and help. Just Cancel the card first of all. :thumbsup:

#7 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:56 PM

Good idea ! Thanks much !

living again !

vrwqzc.gif