Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

blue screenI

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 doctorphibes

doctorphibes

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:00 PM

I'mworking On a DellDemension windowsxp home edition I try to boot but get a blue screen warning stating "A problem has been detected and windows has shut down to preventdamage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen restart your computer. If screen appears again follow these steps:
disable or uninstall any anti-virus disk defrag or back up utilities check hard drive config and check for updated drivers run chkdsk/f to check forhard drive corruption then restart computer.
technical info:

***STOP:0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x82F86248, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)
how do I acommplish if cannot boot?
respectfully,
phibes
I am enough of the artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. Albert Einstein

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:04 PM

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

How to start Windows in Safe Mode

If so, run Check-Disk.

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After its finished it will restart into Windows automatically.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:27 PM

You can also remove the hard drive...temporarily attach it as a secondary drive in a known good system...and run chkdsk /r on that system.

Louis

#4 doctorphibes

doctorphibes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:41 AM

:thumbsup: (Look what I found!!)Thanks for your replies people I appreciated them. At first I couldn't even get the OS repair disk to work but for some reason it decided to (Dell). I ran FIXMBR AND FIXBOOT for good measure. Well one of them worked. It finally booted and appears to be fine at the moment. I also ran CHKDSK and it showed multiple errors and attempted to repair some. But, this is still indicative (in my mind at least) that my hard drive may be dying and needs replacing so I'll back up and replace and hope for the best. Again thanks to all that responded.
Have a good one.

P.S. No I couldn't boot at all Budapest. It would show the Windows icon for about a second and go straight to the blue screen and that was that, but thanks.

Edited by doctorphibes, 08 October 2008 - 03:48 AM.

I am enough of the artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. Albert Einstein

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 04:30 AM

If you suspect that the hdd is in trouble, find out who the manufacturer is and go to their web site and download their diagnostic tool. You will need to burn this to a CD in order to boot from it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:25 AM

Do that after your Back up. It maybe still usable as a Slave Drive, but for the Cost of a New HDD these days, I certainly would not trust it as a Primary Drive ever again.

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users