Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Event ID: 2004 error

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Adas

Adas

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:14 PM

Hello everyone!

I've been having this problem for some time now:

Unable to open the Server service. Server performance data will not be returned. Error code returned is in data DWORD 0.

This error is caused by Perfnet, and I really have no clue on how to stop it from occuring again.

I'm using Windows XP Service Pack 2, I'm having Nod32 as antivirus.

The machine I'm running these is:
Machine name: IBM-NET-VISTA
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Language: English
System Manufacturer: IBM
System Model: 8307NPG
BIOS: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0 for IBM NetVista.
Processor: Intel« Pentium« 4 CPU 2.00GHz
Memory: 510MB RAM
Page File: 423MB used, 825MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Edited by Adas, 07 October 2008 - 02:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:34 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

See comments from Lesley Vogel at http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-407402.php

Louis

#3 Adas

Adas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:55 AM

Thank you Louis!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:32 AM

If it worked...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 Adas

Adas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 05:36 PM

Well not really, I'm still getting the error, it's ok though, no worries, will try something else..maybe I done something wrong also.. :thumbsup:

If there's something else I could check in, can this error be caused by the fact that I have recently turned off uPNP service?

By the way, forgot to mention, sorry about this... this error occurs every time after a Windows restart.

Marius

Edited by Adas, 09 October 2008 - 05:38 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 09 October 2008 - 05:49 PM

What is the exact text of the error message in Event Viewer. Double click on the error - then copy/paste it into your next post.
Have you disabled any other services (such as the Server service)?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 05:50 PM

Well...turning off UPnP is not a bad thing, according to the following.

http://peterhgregory.wordpress.com/2008/01...-vulnerability/

The best luck I've had with Event ID errors involves using the www.eventid.net website. There is a wide variety of impacts, etc. for any ID and it helps to focus in on an exact one, if such exists.

Louis

#8 Adas

Adas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:17 AM

Event Type: Error
Event Source: PerfNet
Event Category: None
Event ID: 2004
Date: 11.10.2008
Time: 15:54:01
User: N/A
Computer: IBM-NET-VISTA
Description:
Unable to open the Server service. Server performance data will not be returned. Error code returned is in data DWORD 0.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp
Data:
0000: 34 00 00 c0 4..└

This is what I get on the Event Viewer usasma, I haven't disabled the Server service, nor any other services.

Thanks Louis, I will try to see what I can find on your site.

Edited by Adas, 11 October 2008 - 01:55 PM.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 01:24 PM

Do you need the performance event stuff? Are there any other problems other than the error in Event Viewer?

Is the Server service started? To check this, go to Start...Run...and type in "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Scroll down to the Server service and check it.

You can ignore the error message and continue on with what you have and all will likely be OK.
Or, you can right click on the Server service and select "Properties". In the Startup Type dropdown box, select Automatic and click on OK to apply the change. The next time that you start the system the Server service should start automatically (and the error message should be gone).

If any of this doesn't work or gives you an error, post back with the details and we'll look into it further.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Adas

Adas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:00 AM

No, I don't need the performance event stuff at the moment, I don't have any other problems, only a warning from Userenv.

Done everything, they were already set up as you told me to set them.

The error is still there though.

Posted Image

Edited by Adas, 12 October 2008 - 04:10 AM.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:30 AM

Hmmm, this one's a poser, for sure! Since it's an error that occurs on startup, you'll have to scan your startups for likely candidates. Look for any applications/services that are "network aware" and try stopping them one at a time. That should tell you what's causing the error - then we can look for a fix.

A good, free tool for this is Autoruns (available here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/Autoruns.mspx )
I'd start with the Logon tab, then the Services tab (omitting any Microsoft services for now).

#12 Adas

Adas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:00 AM

Thank you for this very nice tool recommendation.

I looked under the Logon tab and found a Uniblue Registry Booster bad path start up, removed Yahoo! Messenger, and a UPS Manager (winpower.exe I believe it's related to this UPS manager), error vanished, I re-enabled those things back except the bad path that I deleted (Uniblue Registry Booster), however the error no longer appears...

I guess the problem is solved... thank you very much! Sorry for not stopping them one at a time, as you told me...

Thank you usasma!

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:50 AM

"Nothing succeeds like success!"
I'm glad you got it fixed!
Thanks for posting back the results, I'm sure that it'll help others who have similar problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users