Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VIRUS ALERT! next to clock: Aftermath

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jaf72

jaf72

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:49 PM

Hello.

A few days ago I accidentally downloaded some malware onto my computer. My computer had slowed to a crawl, I couldn't access my hard drive, I kept getting messages about viruses and spyware and the words "VIRUS ALERT!" appeared next to my clock.

After following some instructions I found on another thread, everything seemed to be back to normal. My computer is working at full speed, the pop-up messages have stopped and the "VIRUS ALERT!" message has disappeared.

But I still can't access my hard drive. Does this mean I'm still infected with something or do I need to sort something out in my computer settings?

I would be very grateful for any help with this.

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 03:52 PM

What exactly do you mean by "still can't access my hard drive"? Can you provide more information. How are you trying to access the hard drive? Do you get any error messages?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 jaf72

jaf72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:15 PM

OK I may have exaggerated a bit when I said "can't access". Sorry
I am still able to get into my drive using the "Run" option in the start menu
I used to be able to get into my hard drive (Drive C) from "My Computer" but the Drive C icon disappeared when the viruses starting messing with my computer. Everything seems to be OK now but the Drive C icon is still missing. The icon for my CD Drive is missing too.
I know it doesn't sound like much but I'm worried that there may still be some sort of threat.

Sorry for any confusion. :thumbsup:

Edited by jaf72, 07 October 2008 - 07:17 PM.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:23 PM

Download and install TweakUI (the download is on the right hand side of the screen). Run TweakUI and then click on My Computer > Drives and place a check next to the drives you want to unhide.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 jaf72

jaf72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:30 AM

Awesome. :flowers:

Thanks for your help. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic