Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatted and data on 2nd hardrive not accessible

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TuF_RyDa

TuF_RyDa

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:18 PM

Hello,

I have 2 hardrives. One is the C: drive that my computer came with. The other is a 320GB hardrive that I bought later. I had a virus on my computer. I moved my important files onto the second harddrive. Then I reformatted only the C: drive. The other drive was left alone. When this was completed and I went to My Computer, I could only see the C: drive and the second drive was now only 3.17GB and was called "HP_RECOVERY" even though my computer is COMPAQ. It contains 3GB of recovery files. I have no idea where these files came from, and I have no idea where my important files went. Under Device Manager it does recognize both disk drives. As a check I put in the Windows CD just to see if it showed the other hardrive and it did, but it only had 3GB in Partion1, and 317GB in Unpartitioned Data.

Does anyone know what happened, and how I can get my important data back?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:22 PM

That's the number one reason why I unplug all hard drives except for the one I'm going to reformat
Compaq and HP are one and the same. The recovery partition comes pre-installed from the factory. It's around 3 gig in size.

Exactly how did you go about reformating C? What procedure?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:36 PM

From XP forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/173225/reformatted-and-data-on-2nd-hardrive-not-accessible/

Louis

#4 TuF_RyDa

TuF_RyDa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 05:20 PM

To garmanma: At first we put in the Compaq restore CD's that came with my computer. But my friend didn't like the "easy" way it was doing it (it only offered a QUICK Format), so we then used his Windows XP CD. We boot to that CD and it came to a blue screen where it showed us the hardrives. There was the one that came with my computer, which was C: and D: where D: was a 3GB partition for system recovery. There was also the second hardrive which was E:. This was strange because in MyComputer the 2nd hardrive was labeled as I: J: and K: (3 partitions). But here it was just showing up as one big E: (320GB). We left that alone. We deleted C: and D: and made a new C: that was the maximum size of the first hardrive. It formatted for about 40mins. But when Windows loaded it asked for Activation. So then we went back to the Compaq CD's and did the Quick Format. Then loaded my guenuine version of Windows XP. That the process that we took. Out of curiousity, we boot back to my friends WIndows CD to see what drives it showed now, and it had the same C:, D:, and E: but this time for E: it had the 3GB recovery partition, and the rest of the drive was under Unpartitioned Data.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users