Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatted and data on 2nd hardrive not accessible

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TuF_RyDa

TuF_RyDa

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:16 PM

Hello,

I have 2 hardrives. One is the C: drive that my computer came with. The other is a 320GB hardrive that I bought later. I had a virus on my computer. I moved my important files onto the second harddrive. Then I reformatted only the C: drive. The other drive was left alone. When this was completed and I went to My Computer, I could only see the C: drive and the second drive was now only 3.17GB and was called "HP_RECOVERY" even though my computer is COMPAQ. It contains 3GB of recovery files. I have no idea where these files came from, and I have no idea where my important files went. Under Device Manager it does recognize both disk drives. As a check I put in the Windows CD just to see if it showed the other hardrive and it did, but it only had 3GB in Partion1, and 317GB in Unpartitioned Data.

Does anyone know what happened, and how I can get my important data back?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:59 PM

Is the CD you have...a Microsoft CD? Or is it a Compaq/HP CD?

Compaq was bought by HP some time ago...so seeing either name on your system is OK.

To me, it appears that you (however you did it)...formatted the 320GB drive, with the software backing up some files (3GB) and treating the rest as unallocated space on the hard drive.

As for getting data back...I suppose that you can always try recovery software and hope for the best.

Louis

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:32 PM

I dont understand. You formatted C: drive. But in most cases the Windows is installed on C:. Even if you installed Windows on D:, the boot information files are stored on C:.

You say you formatted C: and then went to MyComputer?

Please tell us which utility or software did you use for formatting the hard disk drive?

#4 TuF_RyDa

TuF_RyDa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 05:08 PM

I have followed hamluis' advice and got a recovery software called VirtualLab. I scanned the second hardrive and it found all the files that were previously on it. However, when I try to Save them it prompts me to purchase Quota. And since I have ~250GB to get back it will cost ~$200. Does anyone know of a free recovery software that lets you save the files for free as well?

To answer Romeo29's question, at first we put in the Compaq restore CD's that came with my computer. But my friend didn't like the "easy" way it was doing it (it only offered a QUICK Format), so we then used his Windows CD and did a full format, but then it asked for Activation. So then we went back to the Compaq CD's and did the Quick Format.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 05:30 PM

I have paid utilities that I have used successfully...but, if you want to try something free and probably reliable, I suggest visiting http://www.ntfs.com/ and looking at the offerings for recovery software.

Some are free, some are trials.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users