Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrading hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 dnap

dnap

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:52 AM

i would like to get a new hard drive since my old one is on its way out, however i have an IDE hard drive, and was wondering if i could buy one of those IDE to SATA converters for my pci slots, and change to a SATA hard drive since IDE are becoming obsolete, is this possible? i dont know much about hard drives, sorry.

CPU - AMD FX-8350 Black Edition

Motherboard -MSI 990FXA-GD80

Ram - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)

Video Card - MSI Radeon R9 280

Storage - Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM

Power Supply - hec XP1080 800W

Case - Antec DF-35

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:09 PM

It might just be better/cheaper to stick with IDE. I noticed that they came out with terabyte hard drive's that use IDE.

Anyway, if you really want a Sata hard drive though, yes you can buy one of those adapter's, and it should work fine for you!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 dnap

dnap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:46 PM

yes it is pretty cheap to stay with an IDE hard drive, ive seen 160gb for like 50 dollars, and other ones at half the memory for half the price too, but SATA drives are much more faster, and i just wanted to upgrade since i was replacing it anyways. if it helps any, my computer is a hp compaq d530 cmt, with 3Ghz, and 1Gb of ram. i was told that my computer can use both IDE and S/ATA drives, but im not sure on that, any ideas?

also, memory isnt the factor here, my hard drive now is only 40gb, and i barely have half that taken up, so im not looking for something huge in memory.

Case - Antec DF-35

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:47 PM

The specifications only show ATA, no SATA.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dnap

dnap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 06:44 AM

hmm, ok so if i use the pci adapter for IDE to SATA, i can use that for an internal hard drive? i mean like everything else will still work right? i dont know a whole lot about doing that.

also, i made a bootable floopy for my hard drive, and ran it, and it failed the test, and the computer wouldnt restart, luckily i ran chkdsk before i restarted, but it kept saying file xxxxx is unreadable, and it kept trying to fix index $O in file 25, but couldnt, but i let it sit overnight, and it managed to make it back to windows, but i keep getting popups saying my winlogon.exe file is corrupt, and this file is corrupt and blah blah blah, so i need a new hard drive ASAP

Case - Antec DF-35

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:18 AM

I may be wrong (it happens a lot:)) but...

Doesn't this converter only reduce a SATA drive...down to the speed of the motherboard supported drive? Since the motherboard only supports IDE drives...won't the advantages of a SATA drive be nullified by the fact that there is no native SATA support for a SATA drive...by that motherboard?

The obvious way to go (for me) if I want to use SATA drives on a system where the motherboard doesn't support such...is to just add a PCI SATA or combo (supports SATA and PATA drives) controller card. That eliminates the motherboard controller and allows the user to benefit from SATA speeds.

I have seen various posts where users buy these converters, but it seems like a backwards step to me (if my premises are valid).

And...let us not forget about the power connection...although it seems that every SATA drive I've bought comes with a connecting cable that allows power connection to a PATA connection.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 October 2008 - 08:20 AM.

#7 dnap

dnap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:33 AM

The obvious way to go (for me) if I want to use SATA drives on a system where the motherboard doesn't support such...is to just add a PCI SATA or combo (supports SATA and PATA drives) controller card. That eliminates the motherboard controller and allows the user to benefit from SATA speeds.
Louis

im not sure what you are talking about, what is this PCI SATA? do you have a link maybe that shows what it is? is it something i could buy at like bestbuy or somewhere that would be close by?

http://cgi.ebay.com/IDE-to-SATA-Serial-ATA...id=p3286.c0.m14

this is what i was looking at, is it something different than you are talking about?

Edited by dnap, 08 October 2008 - 08:34 AM.

Case - Antec DF-35

#8 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:35 AM

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1188562133392
Posted Image

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:48 AM

Examples from Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16816124009 Combo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16816124013 SATA

Louis

#10 dnap

dnap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:16 AM

well arent those things similar to the one i showed from ebay? if anything, i would probably get that best buy one since they are close and wont have to worry about shipping or anything.

i was looking for something similar to this hard drive or this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/WD1500ADFD-Western-Dig...id=p3286.c0.m14

i know in the description it doesnt mention my computer as being compatible, but im assuming thats because mine isnt SATA, but if i convert it with the PCI card, it should work right?

Case - Antec DF-35

#11 dnap

dnap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:34 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-WD-Raptor-X-WD1500...id=p3286.c0.m14

or this one, it looks like it is good, and fast

Case - Antec DF-35

#12 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:25 AM

I would go with the PCI card because then you're actually adding SATA ports to your computer and not fiddling with any adapter/converter strangeness.
Of course it won't be as fast as a SATA controller that's actually soldered into your motherboard since it'll be going through the PCI bus, but there's nothing you can do about that short of replacing your motherboard anyway.
Posted Image

#13 dnap

dnap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:36 AM

I would go with the PCI card because then you're actually adding SATA ports to your computer and not fiddling with any adapter/converter strangeness.
Of course it won't be as fast as a SATA controller that's actually soldered into your motherboard since it'll be going through the PCI bus, but there's nothing you can do about that short of replacing your motherboard anyway.

you are referring to the one you showed me from bestbuy, correct? i was thinking of going with that one as well, even though it is a little more money, ill spend a little more for better quality and functionality.

do you think that second hard drive i showed would work good using the PCI card? i just want to get all the facts before i commit to this, so i wont be stuck with a hard drive that wont work.

Case - Antec DF-35

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:16 PM

About the speed difference using a PCI card rather than onboard SATA, the bus speed or throughput of the PCI bus is 127MB/s, where as the transfer rate of the SATA is 300MB/s, the PATA has a transfer rate of 100MB/s, so the SATA will still be faster.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 dnap

dnap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:19 PM

About the speed difference using a PCI card rather than onboard SATA, the bus speed or throughput of the PCI bus is 127MB/s, where as the transfer rate of the SATA is 300MB/s, the PATA has a transfer rate of 100MB/s, so the SATA will still be faster.

are you saying that using the PCI card for SATA will still be slow?

Case - Antec DF-35

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users