Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows is not starting!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LimeDisease

LimeDisease

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:32 AM

A while ago I started experiencing problems with my computer. Every once in a while it would freeze when I tried to put it into sleep mode. I think it would get stuck on the screen telling me that I am logging off. When this happened, I would manually shut off the computer, but then I would have trouble turning it back on again. I would press the power button on the tower, but Windows xp would not start to load. Normally, I hear the fan start and then a 'beep' and then a Windows loading screen appears on the monitor. Instead I would only hear the fan, but no 'beep' and nothing would appear on my screen. The only way I could fix this was to unplug the computer for several seconds and plug it back in again. This happened three or four times (months ago).

Then, for awhile I was not experiencing any problems. Everything seemed normal and then the same error occured when I tried going into sleep mode. This time, however, I can not get Windows to start at all! Unplugging it doesn't work like it did last time. Is there any way that my computer or hard drive can be saved? Please help me! There are pictures and videos of my daughter as a baby on that computer and my wife is going to kill me!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:23 AM

After you unplug it and restart the computer, does any screen at all show? Can you see the boot screen?
Sounds like your video card/chip went south
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 LimeDisease

LimeDisease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:32 AM

No, I can't see anything. When I turn on my computer now I don't hear the 'beep' indicating that windows it booting up and my monitor says 'check signal cable' which is what it says when the computer is off. All the computer seems to do is make noise with the fan. So I don't think it would be the video card, right? It seems more like a major windows error.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:28 AM

No, I believe it's your video. Bad video effects hibernation/standby also
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 LimeDisease

LimeDisease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:13 PM

ok thanks. Does anyone else have any suggestions? If it is my video card, is it something that can be fixed?

#6 LimeDisease

LimeDisease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:20 PM

bumping my topic so that others might be able to help. I appreciate any suggestions!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users