Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help!I am in trouble!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Macamania

Macamania

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:49 AM

I am a lot troubled man these days.A system info suddenly appeared on system screen (Right bottom on status bar) that I am low on disk space(C drive).Totally stunned I checked and found out that Windows folder which was already 4.4 GB in size was now 9.2 GB!!!But on exploring the folder (inside it) I found out the total folder size was only 4.4 GB(including hidden files and folders) eventhough outside the folder(on right click+properties) it read 9.2 GB.What the h*** is this?I have run the disk cleanup option which gave me just 800 MB.My av package is Kaspersky IS 7 in good and working condition.Now I am about to defragment.Please post your comments and advices.

Is this because of uninstalled updates of Office SP3 and outlook junk filter(I tried to install those updates during shutdown ten to fifteen times but due to some corrupt files this doesnt happen!)?

Edited by usasma, 07 October 2008 - 05:29 PM.
see ***

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:02 AM

A tool for viewing files taking up space on a system, http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/

Click the button to download the trial version. Install, read instructions, and use.

Louis

#3 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:19 AM

How big is your hard drive? I assume you use Outlook in that case do you archive your mail?

Edited by ice2921, 08 October 2008 - 06:29 AM.

#4 Macamania

Macamania
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:19 PM

My C partition is about 18.6 GB which before this problem had about 6.5 GB of free space!I dont use outlook at all and I am afraid that outlook in my system is corrupted.

#5 Macamania

Macamania
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:11 AM

OK,I found the problem.As I said earlier the updates were not properly installed,but it rather increased the size of folder windows>installer.There were 24 .msp files and a lot more .msi files !I deleted them all and saved about 5 GB!Thanks Hamluis,your software helped me find the glitch as the folder was hidden.
Here is a web reference for anyone who wants slim system folders- http://www.bold-fortune.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=238

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:26 AM

Good job, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users