Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupted external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 coolum

coolum

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:16 AM

I had a problem where :

I have a WD external Hard drive that is on the fritz. It is showing that I only have 28 Gigs of space left on a 150 gig drive. I had used the other 122 Gigs, but when I open the drive the folder is no longer present. I tried error check and it said the drive is working properly. Are my files still on the hard drive, and if so how can i find them since the folder that they were in no longer exists? I have looked everywhere on the drive, but the folder and files are gone.

I was told to use Sequoia to retrieve the files which i did.

My problem is that I want to transfer everything to a new hard drive because the hard drive locks up and i believe is corrupt. I have alot of clips and they freeze upon playing as well as when I try to transfer them. I have heard about R-Studio but don't want to but anything unless it will work. I've been able to transfer some of my clips and most of my pics. If I try and scan my disk will it delete my files if I click the fix bad sector box?

Can anybody help with this Problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:31 AM

Sequoia won't retrieve the files, but it will show you where they are. When you hover the mouse over a file it will show you the path.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 coolum

coolum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:36 AM

I have been able to locate the files on the drive but they won't transfer to my new external drive, because I think the drive is corrupt.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 03:30 PM

What happens when you try and copy the files? Do you get any error messages?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 coolum

coolum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:41 PM

when I try to transfer the files the transfer window shows the files to be copied over and it stays inactive. when it does transfer it does it about 50 KB's per second.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:05 PM

Try running a diagnostic test on the drive.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en#2

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 coolum

coolum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 03:22 PM

I did a test and It says I have bad sectors. Can i fix the sectors without losing information ?

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:24 PM

Can i fix the sectors without losing information?

I would say probably not.

Try running chkdsk on the drive.

Right click on the drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now".

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 coolum

coolum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2008 - 06:28 AM

check disc works but no teh box where it say to fix bad sectors automatically

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users