Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where has my HD space gone?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dubsman35

Dubsman35

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:51 PM

I recently noticed that there is about 20gb of space left on my 137gb hard drive. I know i ahve a lot of stuff, but i dont see how i could fill 117gb. I do have a large number of music and a few movies, probably no more than 50-55gb. I have a lot of small apps, lots of slim freeware, not super huge programs that cost a lot.

so basically, i do have a lot of stuff, but i feel like there isnt 117gb worth. could my programs and windows files be taking up that much space? i am running Windows Vista. I run Ccleaner often and have kept my computer virus free for over a year. I have also run DiskDetective but it just tells me that most of it is music. I have a feeling that there may be music left in old folders from when i first put music on this computer, i had some trouble with getting it all together and some might have been left behind but i dont know how to find it.

How can i fix the problem? or is there no problem?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:58 PM

Try SequoiaView, which provides a graphical representation of what is on your drive (not 100% sure it works with Vista but it's worth a try).
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Dubsman35

Dubsman35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:52 PM

I'm pretty sure the program that i used, DiskDetective, does the same thing. but i will look into it, maybe it can give me better info. Thanks!

#4 Dubsman35

Dubsman35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:35 PM

i figured out from your program, very useful actaully, that along with lots of music, the System Volume Information folder is taking up over 14gb. i have no idea what it is, i cant even find the file, i tried right clicking and hitting explore or open and nothing comes up.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:46 PM

That's probable your system restore points.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-vista-system-restore-guide/
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 Dubsman35

Dubsman35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:55 PM

so i disabled it and im back up to 40gb!!!! but i think i might be able to find out a little more. Thank you so much so far budapest.

also, is there a way to keep system restore without it taking up a massive amount of space?

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:04 PM

I know that in Windows XP you can set the amount of space it will use, but I'm not sure how to do that on Vista.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 Dubsman35

Dubsman35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:34 PM

now up to 45GB free!!! woot. but im still convinced something is hiding or that i have a lot of junk stuff that doesnt look like junk.

i have a lot of stuff in my appdata folder, and tons of stuff in my c:/windows folder (but im guessing that it should all be there, its just that like, in total, the folder takes up 12.5gb)

#9 Gains

Gains

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:48 AM

Have you ever done a Windows upgrade on your PC, or has the O/S always been installed cleanly? I ask because I had a similar problem to you a few years back when I moved from Windows 98 to Windows 2000.
There was an 'Upgrade' option on the Windows 2000 CD, and it basically said 'choose this to convert your existing Windows 98 install to Windows 2000 whilst preserving all of your personal settings and data'.

'Great!' I thought. 'It's almost like doing a clean install, but quicker and easier and I don't have to back everything up'. I ran the upgrade and everything went fine. Windows 2000 appeared and all my data etc was present and correct.
I then noticed that my HDD usage had more than doubled. On closer investigation it turned out that far from upgrading Windows 98 to 2000, the installer/upgrader had simply deactivated it, installed Windows 2000 alongside it, then made a copy of all my settings and data and stuck it in the Windows 2000 environment.
The end result was that I'd got an unusable Windows 98 install still sat on my HDD, a usable Windows 2000 install, and 2 copies of all of my data and settings files!

#10 Dubsman35

Dubsman35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:42 PM

nope, its been the same vista os since i got it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users