Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB keyboard not recognized when trying to repair windows XP Pro install

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 donscomputers

donscomputers

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:38 PM

Dell Dimension E510 Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, twin 160GB Hard drives. Long story short.....Computer crashed. When I turn the power on it comes up and says "ntoskernl.exe is corrupt or missing". Tried to do a Windows repair with the XP Pro disk. Boot computer with disk in drive, "Press any key to boot from CD", I hit the enter key and it boots to the cd. Windows does it's thing (gets to the setup screen) Press Enter to install Windows, Press R to repair Windows or F3 to exit. At this point the keyboard does not work. The computer ONLY has USB ports. NO PS2 ports for keyboard and mouse. I have tried all of the USB ports, front and back and purchased an adapter for a PS2 keyboard and mouse to connect them through the USB port. Nothing so far. Any help out there?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:52 PM

Just a guess here.
Boot into bios. Look around for something that says Legacy Support or something similar. (It may have USB legacy support)
If it's disabled, enable it. Save the change and exit. Reboot the computer and try again.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 12:13 PM

Try letting the computer sit for a few minutes and see if the keyboard starts working. If the keyboard has not been used on the computer with windows or windows forgets its there it won't automatically load the drivers on start up. It has to detect the keyboard and then install the drivers for it, which it will do eventually. I have found on computers that I work on (all my keyboards are USB except one) that using my keyboard has this effect but letting it sit for a few minutes windows recognizes the keyboard and it starts working. Also trying different USB ports seems to work also. Your computer most likely has USB legacy support enabled since it only has USB ports and it allows you to press Enter to boot to the cd, the problem only arises when windows takes over.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 donscomputers

donscomputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:37 PM

Just a guess here.
Boot into bios. Look around for something that says Legacy Support or something similar. (It may have USB legacy support)
If it's disabled, enable it. Save the change and exit. Reboot the computer and try again.

Legacy support is enabled, remember the computer ONLY has usb ports, no ps2 ports.

#5 donscomputers

donscomputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:38 PM

Try letting the computer sit for a few minutes and see if the keyboard starts working. If the keyboard has not been used on the computer with windows or windows forgets its there it won't automatically load the drivers on start up. It has to detect the keyboard and then install the drivers for it, which it will do eventually. I have found on computers that I work on (all my keyboards are USB except one) that using my keyboard has this effect but letting it sit for a few minutes windows recognizes the keyboard and it starts working. Also trying different USB ports seems to work also. Your computer most likely has USB legacy support enabled since it only has USB ports and it allows you to press Enter to boot to the cd, the problem only arises when windows takes over.

I let it sit for over 1 hour at the Windows setup screen. Remember what I said about computer not booting. It will not boot to windows so it never "sees" the keyboard or mouse.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:23 PM

"Boot computer with disk in drive, "Press any key to boot from CD", I hit the enter key and it boots to the cd. Windows does it's thing (gets to the setup screen) Press Enter to install Windows, Press R to repair Windows or F3 to exit." That's the impression that I got. :thumbsup: Have you tried a Pre installed eviroment such as BART-Pe to see if it will work there. You could always try the customers keyboard if you haven't done so already.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 12 October 2008 - 05:24 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 bondex

bondex

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:30 PM

Answer to Donscomputer...
I had a similar situation, and after an hour of fiddling around on the web for an answer, i noticed that my USB keyboard was LOCKED...
A touch of a botton to unlock it and voilą the installation continued like a charm.
Maybe you have already tried this but it's worth a try!
Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users