Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway GT4016 sound issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 arelles

arelles

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:16 PM

Hello all,
Working on a friends Gateway (XP Media Center), he had purchased a driver updater and lost video. I got that back up, and the DVD-ROM, but the sound is confounding me. I found only legacy sound devices, disabled them in safe mode, downloaded and installed new drivers from Gateway for this model, nothing. No sound device found. I double-checked the driver I DL'd, it is the proper one for XP, not Vista.
Thanks,
Arelles :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:18 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

You might try this: How to uninstall hidden devices, drivers, and services - Tech-Recipes.com - http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_instal...on_tips504.html

Then reboot and try to install anew.

Louis

#3 arelles

arelles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:04 PM

Louis,
Found all kinds of Microsoft sound devices, uninstalled all as the Media Center is looking for Realtek High Def audio. rebooted and ran the suggested install from Gateway, no sound device found on reboot. Tried to install via control panel>add new hardware, machine crashed before completion. I really thought that was going to work... but I truly appreciate the suggestion, and I learned something new! I ran a Hirens motherboard test, and everything passed. Is there another obvious test that I need to run to rule out some basic hardware problem?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:05 AM

I really don't have any other suggestions, sorry.

I had a somewhat similar problem earlier this year (Device Manager indicated need for sound driver, but unable to install driver from motherboard CD)...and I wish I could take credit for solving it, but I can't. The problem went away alright, but I don't remember the exact steps I took.

I do know that I used that link to remove all sound drivers...and I think I followed up with running chkdsk /r (followed by reboot)...but I honestly can't say.

Anyway, good luck :thumbsup:!

Louis

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 12:03 PM

I had a similar problem with a Gateway computer using Xp Media center. Go to Hp's support website and download the correct audio driver for your system. Next go into the control panel and uninstall all of the audio drivers that are installed. Reboot the computer and install the drivers you downloaded. I am not sure if there is anything else I had to do it was a few months ago since I worked on the computer.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users