Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Impossible to boot Windows

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bentrinh

bentrinh

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:42 PM

CPU
3.0Ghz E8400

Motherboard
ASUS P5Q Pro

Memory
4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2

Graphics Card
VisionTek Radeon HD 4850 512MB

Hard Drive
Western Digital SE16 640GB

Power Supply
600 OCZ StealthXStream

This is THE most confusing PC problem I've ever encountered. So I set up my new PC, and everything seems to go smoothly - until I try to install Windows Vista. The IDE DVD-R drive seems to be taking it's time to install but eventually ask for some sorta driver or something. At this point I'm thinking "What? It's the first time running, what drivers?" So I retry only to have it fail again (this time at a different point). I exit it all thinking maybe the disk is just dusty or something and reboot the PC. Then that DVD drive doesn't boot at all. The screen just stays blank (with a blinking "_") as my DVD drive makes no sound. So I think, this DVD drive has been strange lately, let's borrow my sister's IDE DVD-RW drive. It all seems well until it freezes at the point after the green bar finishes loading (when a background appears) the mouse seemed to be OK, so I wait - but then it just reboots itself. It happens again. And again. So I try using a copy of Vista without SP1. Same thing, and eventually it just plain freezes at the green bar. At this point I gave up on Vista to try XP. And THAT freezes on me too - at the "starting Windows" screen. Of course now I've decided to try using the orginal DVD drive, but same thing, an endless "_". So I try updating to the latest BIOs. Same thing. Locking in RAM voltages. Same thing. Setting the SATA controller to compatilblity mode. Same thing. Disabling APCI. Same thing.

Finally, I formated the hard drive using the Maxtor boot CD (For some reason Western Digital's won't boot). Everything seems to go smooth, but now Windows doesn't boot - it'd load the green bar, and it'd just stop. Nothing. Then the PC would reboot itself again. Safe mode doesn't work.

Memtest is currently running, but in the mean time, I need all the help I can get.

Edited by bentrinh, 06 October 2008 - 06:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:09 PM

Are you trying to install...on top of all these situations?

Are you deleting everything...before attempting to install?

Louis

#3 bentrinh

bentrinh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:04 PM

Are you trying to install...on top of all these situations?

Are you deleting everything...before attempting to install?

Louis

It's been installed successfully. It just won't boot now.

Memtest+ results: No errors
Western Digital Lifeguard results: No errors

Edited by bentrinh, 06 October 2008 - 10:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users