Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Tweak: how do I prevent users from installing programs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SpaCeTraNce

SpaCeTraNce

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:03 PM

I know I can use the limited account to prevent users from installing programs, but that is NOT an option in this case :thumbsup: . I need a reg tweak that will effectively do the same thing with an admin account on XP home edition.

I found a tweak that will "Restrict Users from Running Specific Applications"

where you create a new subkey:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun

then create new values for each application:

"winword.exe"

Here is a question to throw out there for discussion:

can i use wildcards in the above tweak??? ex: will creating the key above with this value "d:\*.exe" prevent users from running any exe files from a cd???? I know I can always test it and find out but lets see what conversation(s) this starts..........

Back to the original question, What reg tweak will prevent users from installig apps on a admin account on xp home addition???

If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. -- C.S. Lewis

The more I study science, the more I believe in God. -- Albert Einstein

Mathematics is the language with which God has written the universe. -- Galileo Galilei

I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, that His justice cannot sleep forever. -- Thomas Jefferson

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:56 PM

You could try the fix at Kelly's Korner.

Disbale Installer - #366 on the right.

I haven't used it myself so I'm not exactly sure how it works.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 SpaCeTraNce

SpaCeTraNce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:05 PM

thanx that looks exactly like what I am looking for.

If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. -- C.S. Lewis

Mathematics is the language with which God has written the universe. -- Galileo Galilei

I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, that His justice cannot sleep forever. -- Thomas Jefferson

#4 SpaCeTraNce

SpaCeTraNce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:58 AM

UPDATE: the above tweak works but there are some missing dword values that the linked resource does not reference.
Using the above tweak I was not able to disable msi installer because I was using a admin account. See below for full explanation of tweak.
WARNING: IF YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW TO USE THIS INFORMATION, DON'T USE IT. YOU CAN BREAK YOUR 'PUTER. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

You have been warned.

Disable Windows Installer
System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer]
Value Name: DisableMSI
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = default, 1 = admin only, 2 = disabled)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users