Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Failed To Start

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ekxero

ekxero

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:38 PM

When I power my laptop on (Sony Vaio), the Windows Boot Manager comes on and says:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Windows\system32\config\system

Info: Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt.

My laptop never came with an installation disc or anything because I believe you are supposed to recover your computer within Windows Vista. I'm not precisely sure which version of Vista I have, but I believe its the basic or home edition. The problem started when I left my computer on over night and it went into sleep or standby mode. When I tried to wake it back up it only showed the mouse cursor on a black screen. I held the power button down to turn it off, and when I powered it back on this is what happened.

When I run the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool, after it completes it brings me to the Windows Error Recovery screen.
It gives me options for Safe Mode...etc. None of the options work however, and I don't know what to do from here. Any help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:01 PM

Boot from the Vista DVD and launch Startup Repair: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/

#3 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 01:32 AM

If you run a registry cleaners-then do what madman6510 say

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:11 AM

Vista Startup Repair is designed to handle this problem (if it's within it's abilities).

I do not recommend the use of registry cleaners due to the problems that they have caused for many people. A search of these forums will show more discussion about this. Also, this link ( http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-xp/61015...y-cleaners.html ) discusses the issue much clearer than I could address it here.

Sony will normally provide recovery disks for free if you contact them. Also, there are downloads of the Startup Repair ISO's listed here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/usas...?showentry=1261 You can use them to run Startup Repair. Here's a link with more info on Startup Repair: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/

If it fails, then there's other steps to take. Post back with the results and we can move on from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 ekxero

ekxero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2008 - 12:49 AM

Hi. Thanks guys. I got a copy of the Vista DVD from a friend. It's working fine now. Just one last question. I have Vista Home Basic. My friend has Vista Home Premium. Could I use his DVD copy to upgrade my Vista Basic to Premium? I don't know if there's much of a difference either way, but Premium sounds better :huh: . Thanks again.
If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2008 - 03:20 PM

All versions of Vista are on the one DVD - it's the product key that determines what version is installed. If you use his product key to install on your system, it's likely to break both his and your systems (not to mention that it's against the EULA and illegal).

Home Premium includes more bells and whistles - but it's not all that different than Home Basic. For most users it's the Media Center and the Aero theme - beyond that you can find freeware apps that'll make up for the difference.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 gomez

gomez

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:53 PM

Hi..
Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
* Choose your language settings, and then click and Click Repair your computer.
----------------------------
Gomez
sreevyshcorp

#8 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:29 AM

No, if you copy DVD, you have an disc which isnt legal, but if you dont have a Vista DVD you can do it ( but you will break copyrights, so be careful +Windows Vista Can only use 1 Product Key, so just use Home Basic setup and key) And this DVD will be your Recovery Disk + Reinstall DVD

#9 davidleal

davidleal

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:55 PM

Boot from the Vista DVD and launch Startup Repair: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/

sir i dont think i have this Vista DVD that u r spaeking of, but what i do have is the recovery and application/drivers cd. I also the similar problem posted by eksero...can u please shed light on my problem pls..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users