Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Totally Irrevelevant but...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:10 PM

I have become addicted to magnets lately and I decided to buy some. Then I played Halo 2 and found the MAC gun, or Magnetically Accelerated Cannon. I have a theory in my head about how it would work, but I would like to get some math in on this if I could, so I can build one. I want to find out the acceleration of a magnet, with the following information:

A small, cylindrical, 0.05oz magnet with 5 lbs. of push force is in the field of a magnet with 46lbs of pull force. The small magnet is the 'bullet'. In an ideal world, can you tell me what the acceleration would be for the bullet if it was constantly in the repellent field of a larger magnet? Illustration below of how I think this would work:

Posted Image
Tell me you don't want one!!!

Also in case you want the website its very fun to browse, has all the neodymium you'll ever need. They sell to manufacturers of speakers, arts and crafts, and lol Star Trek to stick the transponders to their shirts. Some are powerful enough to turn you into target practice for the loose metal in your home. Others are just fun. http://www.kjmagnetics.com/

Edited by Ryan 3000, 06 October 2008 - 02:22 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:44 PM

A small, cylindrical, 0.05oz magnet with 5 lbs. of push force

How do you get a magnet to have 'push force'?
Derfram
~~~~~~

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:10 PM

http://scitoys.com/scitoys/scitoys/magnets/gauss.html

http://www.all-science-fair-projects.com/project372_29.html
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:43 PM

The real fun starts when you employ a EM field to the mix (although slightly less portable "currently" :thumbsup:)
http://science.howstuffworks.com/rail-gun.htm
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology...aw/4231461.html

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#5 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:27 PM

Since a drawning was edited in, back to the OPs original concept.

First, I assume the magnets are oriented N/S (larger magnet) and S/N (smaller magnet). You will need to be able to slide the larger magnet further down than the drawing indicates, or the smaller maget will just stick immediately coaxial to the larger magnet.

Keep in mind that a stonger magnet can totally overpower a smaller magnet. A N pole of a large magnet will obviously attract the S pole of a smaller magnet, but if the strengths are sufficiently different, it might also attrack the N pole. If this happens, that center magnet is going nowhere.

Finally, you will want to be able to slide the larger magnet quickly down to slightly beyond the smaller magnet - and have it hit a hard stop. The repulsion force will work against that stop and a mushy stop will reduce the acceleration.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#6 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:07 PM

EDIT: Revising an earlier rushed response. Thanks garmanma and no one for your links. I've studied both rail guns and gauss guns intensely but I believe the most power can be achieved with the most portability, least electricity and least wasted magnetic field in a Ryan cannon. The main thing going for this project is that it's composed of only 4 parts, 2 of which move; and also that it's very light (around 2 pounds, tops). It's possible to reduce to 3 parts, but I need a 'stopper' in the tube so that the slug is held in place and so that I can pull the launcher magnet past it. As for derf, thanks very much for the advice. I've now put that into my plan, and there is room for a 5th part: something to stop the large magnet, as you said. This was all in my head, but you guys have helped me a lot to put this on paper. As for physics, still waiting for someone's help. All I need is the frictionless acceleration. Waiting to strike from above.

Ryan

Edited by Ryan 3000, 07 October 2008 - 05:46 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#7 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:59 PM

Bump/update!
I've ordered the parts (and some safety things :flowers:) and will be building the cannon. Maybe I will make a YouTube video and post here. Guess I won't need physics when I can test the thing eh? Wish me luck.
EDIT: I can't spell :thumbsup:

Edited by Ryan 3000, 08 October 2008 - 06:00 PM.

#8 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 06:21 PM

You can start with F=MA, or rearranging A=F/M. You may have the Mass of the projectile, but I don't think you know the force you will get until you actually measure it. Then, as the force drops quickly as the magnets part, you will have to apply a bit of calculus to determine the final 'muzzle' velocity.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#9 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:24 PM

I'm sure there's mathematics but... too complex for me. Unpredictable even after mathematics because of the amount of friction you're dealing with.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 08 October 2008 - 10:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users