Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating A Restore Point Takes 5 Minuts

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Emile

Emile

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:24 PM

Hello,
On My Vista SP1 when I request to create a restore point it takes 5 minutes between the request and the possibility to create it . The "system" search for 5 minutes see attached screenshots.
How to reduce the time needed?
Thanks in advance.

Edited by Emile, 06 October 2008 - 01:24 PM.

Emile Asus P7P67 Pro v3, Intel 1155 3.4 GH, Corsair DDR3 8Gb,PCX Nvidia 560 ti,PCX Nvidia 550 ti,
SSD 120Gb, 2 x 1 Tera SATA6, Dual Boot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:56 PM

hi,,,, when you making a restore point open task manager and take a look at how much cpu and ram is being used,,, if there is a lot of your pc's resorces being used this could be why its taking so long,,, shut as much stuff down as you can,,,, ie,, open programs and apps,,, and then try again.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 Emile

Emile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:28 AM

Hello and thanks for your time.
In fact I have "exit" ALL unnecessary programs. Task manager shows that the system runs from 5 to up to 20% and the active process is Windows Explorer ...
Thanks in advance
Emile Asus P7P67 Pro v3, Intel 1155 3.4 GH, Corsair DDR3 8Gb,PCX Nvidia 560 ti,PCX Nvidia 550 ti,

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:20 AM

There are issues with System Restore when dual-booting with XP. Most commonly the problem is evidenced when restore points go missing when booting to XP, then back to Vista. I haven't researched this in detail, so I'd suggest using Google for further info.

If this is the case, then System Restore will have to look all around your system for things to restore. And, it'll have to do it again each time you leave Vista, go to XP, and then return to Vista. And then it's gotta search 800 gB of drives to make sure it gets everything.

I just opened System Restore for the first time on a freshly restored copy of Vista Business on my laptop a 160 gB drive and it took about a minute to scan everything there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Emile

Emile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 01:30 PM

Hello,
I will try this procedure tomorrow on my XP
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/127417-s...oot-delete.html

Tanks for the suggestion to search on Google.
I will report later ..... if my systems still work :huh:

#6 Emile

Emile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:17 PM

Hi,
This modification was already installed on my XP SP3 system :huh: (I forgot that !!) ans XP does NOT "see" the Vista HD.
So I need to find a other solution.
Any idea?
Thanks in advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users