Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd/cd Drive Not Reading Anything

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 boysaremeanandugly

boysaremeanandugly

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:08 AM

I have a Presario 2100 (yeah I know, from the Stone Age). My dvd drive won't read anything, and I have tried updating the driver, restarting a few times, restarting with the dvd in and out, and my device manager says everything is fine with it! I have no idea what to do next, and I have recently reformatted so I know there is no virus or anything crazy! If any one has any ideas, feel free to voice them, or email them! Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:16 AM

Have you tried a different DVD or CD Rom in it?

It sounds like the DVD may have joined all those that have passed on?

A Brand New DVD Burner is quite inexpensive?

JMHO.

:thumbsup:

#3 boysaremeanandugly

boysaremeanandugly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:49 AM

I haven't tried a new one in it, and the burner went out on in some time ago, I had to go buy a Lite pug and play to be able to burn. Is there anything else I can try with out buying a new dvd reader drive? Thanks again!

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:17 PM

Try it in another machine.

Because of the age I'm guessing that this is a IDE connection? Do you have the drive's jumper set a master, and plugged into the master connection position, at the end of the cable?

Edited by dc3, 06 October 2008 - 12:19 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 boysaremeanandugly

boysaremeanandugly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:13 PM

I'm a noob, lol, I don't know what an IDE connection is, and the drive in question is the actual one in the laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users