Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Home Edition V Vista

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 DG8

DG8

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:44 AM

I have decided to replace my worn out advent laptop with a desktop computer. This past weekend I went to three large computer shops with a view to buy.

Apart from the large variety of prices and packages on offer I was confused with the sales pitch in 2 out of the three country wide Computer Superstores.

Most of the products had vista as the os and when I asked if the many programs I have bought over the years would work - their replies were rather vague and I returned home without buying anything.

I don't know if I can ask this question on this forum and I apologized if I wrong but I need advice on what to buy.

I do not use my laptop to watch dvd's, TV, burn CD's, music etc. I will use the new computer to process photographs, write reports, make club news sheets and the odd posters - all for pleasure. Being a pensioner price is an important consideration and I can only afford up to £400

The one that caught my eye and was compatible to my price range was

Dell Intell Core 2 duo e4700 processor
Insparation 530/2583 Premium
2GB Memory
320 GB Hard drive
19" Monitor
£390

Can someone advice me about whither my XP programs should work in this computer? I also have two usb external hard drives for storage/backup, will they work?

Hope someone cad give me advice.

Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:56 AM

When Vista first came out there was a big stir about the lack of applications that would be compatible with it. The list is growing, and some of the older applications can still be used. To see if the applications that you have will be compatible you may wish to read this article.

Vista shouldn't have any problems reading files from the external hard drives, but once again, you will need to check and see if application on them are compatible. You can also just google to see if a certain application is compatible.

For the use that you have described, that looks like a good computer. If you are going to be using a resource intensive application like Photoshop, you want to think about increasing you RAM.

Edited by dc3, 06 October 2008 - 10:58 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:40 AM

http://www.dell.com/content/products/featu...;l=en&s=bsd
You can purchase some models of Dell computers with XP Pro preinstalled.

EXAMPLE: Vostro 410 Tower
FREE Genuine Vista Business Bonus with XP Professional downgrade Installed

Intel® Core™2 Quad Q6600 (2.40GHz,2X4M L2Cache,1066FSB)

Dell 20 inch Widescreen E207WFP Analog Flat Panel Display

Dell 20 inch Widescreen E207WFP Analog Flat Panel Display

3GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHZ - 2X1GB+2X512MB

128MB ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro

250GB1 Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:53 AM

One possibility is (always) to dual-boot both XP and whatever version of Vista you might have. That would take care of applications which might prove troublesome on Vista, but work fine on XP. That provides flexibility where you can run both. If you should decide to eliminate one farther down the line, that's pretty easy as long as you do routine backups of your system.

One thing to remember is that some computers are currently being made which do not have XP support, since the systems come with Vista.

If you decide that you want an XP system, be sure to specifically let the retailer know that is what you want as the default operating system.

And...remember that it's a lot easier to go forward from XP to Vista...than to go from Vista to XP (re hardware/driver support), if you think it's a one-versus-the-other situation.

Louis

#5 DG8

DG8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:05 PM

dc3 - buddy215 - hamluis thank you for your advice

dc3, reading the article you gave me I think I would be safer staying with windows xp as I like all the programs I have and use them all regular and it would be too much of a risk changing to vista.

buddy 215 and hamluis, would the model buddy 215 suggested be capable of coping with the two os's and photographs?

I think I will surf more to find a xp package - any further suggestions and advice are welcomed.

All the best.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:59 PM

Any PC made in the last 8 years (if not earlier) can run two operating systems...as long as the system exceeds the minimum requirements for that O/S.

Minimum requirements to run Vista: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-v...quirements.aspx

Minimum requirements for XP: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sysreqs/pro.mspx

Essentially...any recently made computer will easily be able to run both of these, with the possible exception being a lack of XP drivers for systems built specifically for Windows Vista.

All the Dell XP systems are at http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?c=us&a...amp;~ck=anavTop

Louis

#7 DG8

DG8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:33 PM

hamluis I still have my original xp home edition CD therefore I should be able to load it? I have looked at the Vostro 410 Tower package and am thinking this will be the one that I will get if it is better package than the following:-.

Dell Intell Core 2 duo e4700 processor
Insparation 530/2583 Premium
2GB Memory
320 GB Hard drive
19" Monitor

Can you advice?

Will spend the rest of the evening looking at others but when the wee nurse gives me my bedtime warning [9.00 pm - but I will push it!] the last thing I will do is order the one that you good guys advice or recommend to me.

Please be assured I know the final decision is mine and mine alone but I can't make head nor tail about the Ram's/GB's/etc and only want guidance from people with far more intelligence.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:50 PM

LOL...you're asking a lot if you want "intelligence" from me :thumbsup:.

OK, I vote for the $499 Vostro 410...that's the one that I would get. I would (eventually) get more RAM on my own and install it, it's cheaper than Dell and installing RAM is pretty simple.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/produ...s=bsd&cs=04

Dell indicates that they will install XP Pro for you AND also install support for Vista for you. No need at all to use your XP Home CD on that system.

Let's wait for some other opinions :flowers:.

Louis

#9 DG8

DG8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:08 PM

hamluis - I don't think you get the same package if you go to Dell home page uk? Anyway as the time is marching on I need to switch off for the evening but I will hold on ordering until tomorrow. I will catch up with any posts and respond appropriately in the morning [God willing]

Until then I bid you and the others a very pleasant and peaceful night.

Goodnight all and thank you.

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,316 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:22 PM

The reason I used that computer as an example was because you can purchase it with XP Professional installed and ready to go.

You will not be able to use your XP Home CD legally on the new computer. That is the short answer.

Here is a link describing downgrading to XP if you purchase a computer with only Vista installed and then decide to downgrade to XP. http://www.informationweek.com/windows/sho...cleID=205101355

Microsoft has extended the cutoff date for custom computer system builders. You can still purchase a custom built computer with only XP but expect to pay a premium for a custom build.

I think Hamlius was referring to the computer specs listing 2GB of RAM you gave when recommending more RAM for using Vista. The specs for the one I used as an example is 3GB. Enough for Vista and will exceed your need in XP.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 DG8

DG8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:02 AM

Good morning everyone - well hopefully it is in your part of the world, here in South West Scotland it has been raining none stop for 8 hrs.

Can someone have a look at the vostro 410 [productivity package $729] http://www.dell.com/content/products/produ...s=bsd&cs=04

Will this one be better than the basic package? And will I be able to buy it from this site [USA] because I can't find the same package deal/price on the UK site?

Will it be compatible with the uk power supply - I bought a video recorder many years ago when on holiday across the big pond - Atlantic, and it would not work when I got home.

Thanks to you all - buddy215 - this package has both vista and xp will this help with program compatibility?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:06 AM

Your link isn't working, but I just used the last one I posted (it has the same data on it).

My take on the differences between the $499 Vostro and $729 Vostro:

a. If you have a monitor you like already, no need for another one. If you wanted a LCD flat panel and you didn't have one, this $729 package provides one.

Link to the monitor, http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...mp;sku=320-5123

b. You go from a dual-core processor to a quad-core. Not necessarily important, really...but the quad-core is a step up.

c. You go from an 80GB hard drive installed...to a 250GB hard drive. Depending on what you do on your system, not necessarily important. My personal view has always been that it's much better to have more space than you anticipate using.

When hard drives went to 100-plus GB, I said to myself: "I'll never have any use for a hard drive that larege." That was before I started capturing/recording movies from TV, sports events from TV, playing with .mp3 music files, etc. I now daily use two systems with a total hard drive space (currently) of about 2.5 terabytes (5 500GB drives).

d. You go from 1GB of RAM to 3GB. 2GB of RAM will cost about $35-40 today and more RAM is always better.

e. You go from a DVD-ROM drive (which cannot burn) to a DVD burner (more flexibility).

Now...I hate to say this but it appears to me that your offerings in the UK from Dell...don't correlate well with what is available in the US. Pricing, selection...big differences, IMO.

The only way to know for sure what's available to you...would be to talk to a Dell rep in the UK and let her/him know what you want and provide the references here in the US.

Louis

#13 DG8

DG8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:02 AM

hamluis - many thanks, I am just going to contact Dell uk and try to get the US package deal here [no harm in trying]

I will let you know how I get on.

All the best and take care.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:42 AM

Easily done.

Let us know how it goes...I like to see people get as many options as possible when they make choices.

Louis

#15 DG8

DG8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:36 PM

Hamluis - I sent the UK Dell Telesale person a screenshot of the USA package deal and along side the Dell UK package deal for the same product highlighting the differences, for example, USA 3 GB hard drive - UK 2.50 GB as well as the CDW/DVDRW and the price difference. I asked if she could match the USA deal.

I hope I can secure a deal tonight - not very hopeful due to the time. The wee nurse will put a stop to my evening soon.

I will say Goodnight and may you be blessed, I hope to have news for you tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users