Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java Installer Won't Run

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 freshjive85

freshjive85

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:47 AM

Hey guys, I have run into a problem on my computer. It's about 4-5 years old and I finally got it to a high speed connection after spending it's whole life on dial up, never being used. So, I downloaded the newest version of Java so I could use limewire. I double click on the installer, I click "run", I get the hourglass, the hourglass goes away and that's it. It shows up under "processes" in the task manager, but nothing ever happens. I have uninstalled the old version of Java, I have downloaded the offline and online versions of it and nothing ever changes. I also recently downloaded WinZip and the installer worked for that, but when I went to use the program after it was installed, it did the same thing that Java is doing. :thumbsup: I don't know if that has anything to do with my java problem...Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:52 PM

Welcome to BC.

I would run some free online virus scanners.

1.Eset
2.Kaspersky
3.Bitdefender
4.Panda
5.McAfee
Regards,

Alan.

#3 freshjive85

freshjive85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:25 PM

I ran two of those antivirus programs and they claimed to have found stuff on my computer which I deleted. Still the same problems. I couldn't run the other three because one of them actually required Java (my problem in the first place!) and the other two required the use of Internet Explorer, which won't work on my computer either. I can only navigate the web with Firefox and it crashes a lot. I can't upload photos on myspace either. My computer is KILLING me and I have no idea what to do!

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:45 PM

I'm going to move this over to the Am I Infected forum....
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 freshjive85

freshjive85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:58 PM

So, I downloaded another program which required that I update it before I scanned. It wouldn't update. It just sat there. Should I just go ahead and take the computer to a specialty place or something? Nothing is getting better...Can one virus even do all this?

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:16 PM

Have you scanned with MBAM?

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes, they may alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please permit the program to allow the changes.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 freshjive85

freshjive85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:20 AM

That was the program that I installed that wouldn't update itself. When I try to update it, it just says "looking for malwarebytes.org" and displays a progress bar with no progress. I actually just left it for several hours and nothing happened. :thumbsup:

Edited by freshjive85, 10 October 2008 - 08:21 AM.

#8 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:40 PM

:thumbsup: :flowers: will it let you run superantispyware ; instructions are here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=959604

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users