Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error-checking And Dealing With The Registry

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 simon_rex

simon_rex

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:37 AM

Hi! If I run Error Checking and check "automatically fix errors," is it safe?....And also, I have CCleaner and I wonder how safe is it to fix the registry?...are there other software out there that are better for registry fixing?....

If I have to backup my registry, how do I do that?

Thank you for all your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:42 AM

If you are running the Windows disk check utility you should be fine. Messing with the registry is dangerous, if you are uncomfortable doing so I recommend you ask someone before removing anything. I do not think that I have ever used CCleaner however; I have heard mixed reviews about . To back your registry you can go to START>RUN>regedit then FILE>EXPORT type in desired file name then click save. To retrieve the registry just import it back.

#3 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:07 AM

Words of Wisdom?

"NEVER touch the Registry until it is Backed Up!"

edit. "Never Trust a Program that says it has done it, Do it yourself first!"

:thumbsup:

Edited by Abacus 7, 06 October 2008 - 10:10 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:19 AM

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications. There are a number of them available and some are safer than others. Keep in mind that no two registry cleaners work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad" entry. One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause a problem when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results". Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again, all it takes is one wrong entrty. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

If you do decide to use a registry cleaner, try using ERUNT to back it up.

Backing up the registry

Backup Your Registry with ERUNT
  • Please use the following link and scroll down to ERUNT and download it.
    http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php
  • For version with the Installer:
    Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer
  • For the zipped version:
    Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.
Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

Note: to restore your registry, go to the folder and start ERDNT.exe

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 simon_rex

simon_rex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:06 AM

thanks guys :thumbsup: it's just that my computer has been slower for a long time and I just used Malwarebytes Antispyware and Superantispyware and found a lot of malware/trojans/adware/spyware and had them quarantined....I thought it would significantly make things faster.... but it didn't

#6 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:26 AM

Where you able to run the disk check? Also what are the specifications of your computer? Maybe we can suggest some things to help speed things up. :thumbsup:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:31 AM

FWIW: When you run error-checking...select both options (Automatically Fix and Scan For & Attempt Recovery).

Also...you can delete anything which has been quarantined by any malware defense/protection program. I see little point in storing files which cannot be used safely...on a system.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 07 October 2008 - 07:32 AM.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:00 PM

I just used Malwarebytes Antispyware and Superantispyware and found a lot of malware/trojans/adware/spyware and had them quarantined....I thought it would significantly make things faster.... but it didn't

You might still have a rootkit or something else malicious. I recommend posting here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 05:37 PM

More discussion about not using a registry cleaner: http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-xp/61015...y-cleaners.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users