Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Completely Unresponsive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dookienoclue

dookienoclue

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:36 AM

Hi Guys,

I recently got some form of virus on my laptop. The first problem was that i kept getting pop ups for Micro Antiviurs 2009, so i got instructions from this great site and proceeded to run Walwarebytes which seemed to sort our the problem. It found alot of infections and resolved the majority of them.

Now when i boot my laptop up it proceeds to load windows XP but when it gets to the stage of the desktop I am unable to do anything. I can see all the desktop icons but am not able to click on anything. To make things worst ctrl, alt and del has no effecrt watsoever, so the only way to get passed this is by switching the laptop off by the power button.

This is were it gets really frustrating, I boot the computer up and press F8, I then select to run in safe mode, it proceeds to run lines of command prompt and then freezes so again a cold boot has to be done. I have tried every other option when select F8, and none of them work at all. I bought the laptop a few years ago with everything pre installed on it so i do not have any disks whatsoever.

If anyone out there can offer any advise it would be much appreceiated.

Cheers
Dookie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,745 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:04 AM

If you cannot boot up in Normal or Safe mode, you may be able to use a Windows XP bootable Floppy Disk to boot from a diskette instead of your hard drive. If your hard drive's boot sector or Windows' basic boot files have been corrupted, this disk will circumvent the problem and boot you into Windows. If you don't have an emergency boot floppy, you may be able to use one created on another PC running Windows XP but there's no guarantee that it will boot your machine.

"Resolving Boot Issues with a Boot Floppy Disk".
"How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks" and select the download that's appropriate for your Operating System. The Setup boot disks are available so that you can run the Setup program on computers that cannot use a bootable CD-ROM.

Another option is to create a Bootable CD:
Bootable CD FAQs
How To Boot your Computer from a Bootable CD or DVD
How to Create a Bootable Windows XP Setup Disk on a Preinstalled/Preloaded Windows System
Creating A Windows XP Recovery Console CD Image

You can try doing a "Repair Install with Recovery Console". The Recovery Console is a Windows utility that provides a DOS-like command line from which you can run some repair programs. If you have a Microsoft Windows CD-ROM, you can get to the Recovery Console by booting from that CD and pressing any key when you told to 'Press any key to boot from CD'. At the 'Welcome to Setup' screen, press r for Repair.

"Langa Letter: XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option"
"How to perform a Repair/Reinstall" (with screenshots).
"How to install and use the Windows XP Recovery Console"

If you don't have your XP CD you can download an ISO of the Recovery Console files:
Recovery Console ISO file
NTFS4FreeDos ISO
XP Recovery Console zip file

Burn it as an image to a disk to get a bootable CD which will startup the Recovery Console for troubleshooting and fixing purposes. This is especially useful for those with OEM systems with factory restore partitions or disks but no original installation CD. If you are not sure how to burn an image, please read How to write a CD/DVD image or ISO.

You can start a new topic in the Windows XP forum if you need assistance with this.

Important Note: If this is a virus/Trojan related issue, you should know that some types of malware can result in a system so badly damaged that a Repair Install will NOT help!. Reinstalling Windows without first wiping the entire hard drive with a repartition and/or format will not remove the infection. The reinstall will only overwrite the Windows files. Any malware on the system will still be there afterwards. Starting over by wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS removes everything and is the safest action. Please read:

"When should I re-format? How should I reinstall?"
"Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do?".

Note: If your using an IBM, HP, Compaq or Dell machine, you may not have an original XP CD Disk.

By policy Microsoft no longer allows OEM manufactures to include the original Windows XP CD-ROM on computers sold with Windows preinstalled. Instead, most computers manufactured and sold by OEM vendors come with a vendor-specific recovery disk or recovery partition for performing a clean factory restore.

A Recovery Disk is a CD-ROM or DVD data disc that contains a complete copy/image of the entire contents of the hard drive that will restore the system to its factory default state at a certain time. Essentially, it will reformat your hard drive, remove all data and restore the computer to the state it was in when you first purchased it. You will lose all data and have to reinstall all programs that you added afterwards. This includes all security updates from Microsoft so you will need to download/install them again.

Some factory restore CDs give you all the options of a full Microsoft Windows CD, but with better instructions and the convenience of having all the right hardware drivers. Others can do nothing except reformat your hard drive and restore it to the condition it was in when you bought the computer. If you do a Google Search, you will find links to topics on how to obtain a replacement recovery disk from various vendors.

A Recovery Partition is used by some OEM manufacturers (Dell, HP, IBM, Gateway) instead of a recovery disk to store a complete copy of the hard disk's factory default contents for easy restoration. This consists of a hidden bootable partition containing various system recovery tools, including full recovery of the preinstalled Windows XP partition that will allow you to restore the computer to the state it was in when you first purchased it. The recovery software will then re-hide its own partition after creating a new partition and installing the software to it. You will lose all data and have to reinstall all programs that you added afterwards. This includes all security updates from Microsoft so you will need to download/install them again.

Recovery partitions may only work with a start-up floppy disk or the user may be prompted immediately after the "Out Of Box Experience" (OOBE) to create backup CD-R disks for the software on the hard drive image for future use. Once the CD's are made, the Operating System, Drivers, or Applications can be reinstalled using the files on the hard drive or the backup CDs.

Some built in recovery partitions can be accessed by hitting Ctrl+F11, just F11 or F10 during bios startup. Others like those used by IBM Thinkpads will display a message at bootup instructing you to press F11 to boot from the recovery partition. For more information, see Understanding Partition recovery.

Again, if you do a Google search on recovery partitions, you can find information specifically related to the manufacturer of your machine.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users