Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Boot Up Problems

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jas009

jas009

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 05 October 2008 - 11:58 PM

HI THERE

I have a HP Media Centre PC (7299a) and have had nothing but problems since the day i brought it about 2 years ago maybe even less. The lastest problem I have is when I turn the computer on the fans sound like they are going to take off, they arent rumbling but more like running very fast. I get a black screen so it doesn't even show the XP startup screen just nothing. About 2 days prior to this happening I was able to boot into windows but only for approx 10 mins or so, the screen became jumpy and flickered, I had to turn it off, but now I cant even start in safe mode get into the bios nothing i dont have the options. I have also tried putting the recovery CD in the drive and turning off and then back on but it wont even do anything either.
I know it's not the monitor because I have tried it with my laptop and it works fine.
But this is my last point of call before it is made to walk the plank and pushed to to the ground below!!

Like I said its a HP media centre
running (or was running) XP Media Centre Addition 2002 SP2

Any Hints suggestions??????????????
MeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jas009

jas009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:12 AM

arrrh sorry but stilll waiting on a reply, if you think it's a hardware problem please let me know what u think it is so i can fix this thing up once and for all or maybe buy something better since this has been trouble from the start....?
Just top let u know what troubles have occured:

2nd day blue screen of death - HP attended replaced RAM card (one was conflicting)
6 months ago - screen all blurry was still under warranty graphics card replaced
2 months ago - windows recovery would not work from partition drive - still under warranty hard drive replaced

Have had to do recovery of windows numerous times - im suprised that that CD's have not warn out by now.

But if someone has suggestion/solution or just wants to say hi please reply ....!
MeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMe

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,020 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:51 AM

Try blowing out the case. Overheating can cause this.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:21 AM

Go to HPs website and see if they have a diagnostic cd for your computer. It will test for various issues, and you can boot from the cd. (make sure that your computer is set to boot from CD...BIOS)

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:43 PM

Cleaning the PC interior:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 jas009

jas009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:55 PM

Hi

Thanks for the replies, have already cleaned the interior with air and the computer will not boot at all, i cannot get into the bios to change the boot settings.... You think my motherboard is gone or maybe the hard drive was a dud?
MeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMe

#7 jas009

jas009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:57 PM

thanks for replying

have already cleaned the interior b4 posting about this problem, i thought it may have been that myself. Also i cant get into the bios to change the boot settings because it wont even boot up to give me the option
MeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMe

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:01 PM

Try a different video card if you can
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:02 PM

Can you view any lights that come on the main board or on the power button?

#10 jas009

jas009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:50 PM

hi there

yes the blue light that indicates power is on, and when i do put in a cd say the recovery ones the light on the cd drive comes on but nothing...
MeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMe

#11 jas009

jas009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:06 PM

Hi all

Found the solution to my troubles, it was a dud graphics card, its all replaced and as good as new hope this one lasts longer than the other one!!

Thanks again for your suggestions :thumbsup:
MeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users