Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server Becoming Unresponsive After An Hour...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 VirusZero

VirusZero

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:18 PM

Ok, so I have a computer which I'm trying to use as a server... But it has the issue that it tends to become unresponsive after a while. First the internet goes unresponsive (as in it says it cannot display any page, but says still is connected) then it won't shut down properly... (Requiring a press of the power button to force a shutdown.) But beyond that everything else works, and works well. So I'm a bit baffled as to what the issue could be. Could it be that it's overheating? The guy I bought it from thought it may have been a power supply issue or ram overheating due to excessive use. But I'm not as good with hardware as I am with software, so I don't know for sure, any help would be appreciated.

As for the server... It's a modified Compaq Presario 6310CA (http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.asp?mscssid=EJWX0VNEN9RV8PGJ9QTAGCRVR21X5K3A)
But since it's modified, here are my systems specs:

AMD (Athlon, I think...) processor at 1.4 ghz (with intel cooling fan on heatsink... Not sure of the name/model of the fan, but I suspect this may be the issue, but I'm not sure.)
512 MB PC2100U DDR 266mhz ram.
40 Gb hdd (Not sure of model of HDD either...)
32 MB Nvidia integrated graphics card
CD-RW drive (not sure of make/model)
6 USB 1.1 ports
4 USB 2.0 ports (seperate card... which was added. And this is where the D-link usb wireless network adapter is plugged into.)
D-Link wireless internet via usb adapter. (DWL-G122)
Not sure of the power supply model either...

Incase it matters, all the programs I'm using it for are: Xampp (Control panel v2.5) with AVG antivirus and Zonealarm firewall, also has utorrent 1.8 and Opera 9.52 as well.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,006 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:58 AM

What is the temperature of the CPU when it is running?

You can download Everest Home Edition to monitor the temperatures. Open it, and click on Computer, then Sensor.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 VirusZero

VirusZero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:22 PM

Hello DC3

First of all, thank you for replying so quickly, I apologise for my late response (I've been busy at the university I attend as well as I was away from the computer so I could not test it until now.)

As for the testing itself... Using the program you so politely directed me to, I got these results:
The temperture the cpu first reported after having the program installed was 38 Celcius on the CPU... But having let it run idle for about 10 to 15 minutes it quickly rose to 44 Celcius, then soon after that it hit 46 Celcius. (And has been slowly and steadily increasing since then. At the time of writing it is now at 50 Celcius.) Running any programs makes it take quick leaps upwards with only minimal drops back down.

There was one thing I noted though, The cpu temperture took a sharp spike when I plugged in the usb wireless network adapter. (From 44C to 52C, then it dropped back down some but not a whole lot.)

I should mention (before anyone suggests it anyway) that I have already blown the case of all dust with an air compressor (set at 10 psi) so there should be no dust in tower at all. And all the connections are secure so I didn't jar anything loose by cleaning it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users