Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extend The Life Of Your Laptop Battery

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:59 PM

There is a lot of info out there with various ideas, but as a rule of thumb, your laptop battery will handle around 500 charge cycles before it dies so if you mainly use your machine on mains power then take the battery out and store it in a cool dry place.

Also, heat is the biggest killer of any electronic equipment so give the fan a blow out about once a month to keep dust down. Working on a soft base such as a bed or cushion is a no-no - always sit the fan area on a book or similar hard surface so your computer can breathe.

Simple things like this will keep your laptop going as long as possible.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:07 PM

Thats good advice Rob, cheers. Just to add that while not using a laptop that is plugged into the mains it should be unplugged as the adaptor can overheat too.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 liamthomas6

liamthomas6

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 04:28 PM

There is a lot of info out there with various ideas, but as a rule of thumb, your laptop battery will handle around 500 charge cycles before it dies so if you mainly use your machine on mains power then take the battery out and store it in a cool dry place.

Also, heat is the biggest killer of any electronic equipment so give the fan a blow out about once a month to keep dust down. Working on a soft base such as a bed or cushion is a no-no - always sit the fan area on a book or similar hard surface so your computer can breathe.

Simple things like this will keep your laptop going as long as possible.

Cheers

I sometimes leave my laptop on my bed whilst im playing games, and it shuts down :thumbsup: I think its cause it gets too hot....

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 01:40 PM

I sometimes leave my laptop on my bed whilst im playing games, and it shuts down :thumbsup: I think its cause it gets too hot....

If the laptop has the fans blocked it will overheat and shutdown.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,566 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:52 PM

You can also use a laptop chill pad,cooling stand or cool mat. Google these terms they run from $10 to 40 USD. Have fans on them and some have extra USB post.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 samuel3

samuel3

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:58 PM

Nice, thanks for this.

#7 Kibou

Kibou

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:23 PM

Thanks for the tips.
Posted Image

#8 vietman

vietman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:37 AM

How do you personally clean out the fan?

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,566 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:21 AM

Use a can of compressed air and blow it into the fan..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 Bouken Red

Bouken Red

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:16 PM

Also , I just want to add that to take really good care of your power adapter.
Avoid the cord to tangle or stress out
Bouken Red

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:10 AM

Also , I just want to add that to take really good care of your power adapter.
Avoid the cord to tangle or stress out

Not only the adapter itself but do not put any strain on the connection to the laptop
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 yeldarb

yeldarb

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:58 AM

Thanks! Good advice!

#13 gamemaster1494

gamemaster1494

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:29 PM

Isn't it because if you leave the battery in, it over charges the battery? It doesn't stop charging it? That's what i have herd. Thanks for the tip. My current battery has 87% wear and I am planning on getting a new one, and those tips is what i needed. Thanks. =D

#14 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,776 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:03 AM

Isn't it because if you leave the battery in, it over charges the battery? It doesn't stop charging it?

That should not happen if the laptop is working correctly. My 4 year old Compaq has always been mains operated with the battery fitted, effectively acting as a UPS. I only have need to use it on battery occasionally, so I run the battery down to shut-off about twice a year to exercise it, then fully recharge. The original battery is still working fine - I've just flicked the mains switch off now as I've been typing this.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#15 Oseyerus13

Oseyerus13

• Members
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:37 AM

Some computers (like my Thinkpad) have battery maintenance which is supposed to keep your batteries in good condition longer by entirely draining them and then recharging them. I was wondering if this really does help much? Thanks in advance for your advice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users