Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dos command help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 khris777

khris777

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 29 April 2005 - 09:28 PM

Hi there.

Im providing myself a crash course in wi-fi, tcpip and other stuff OH MY! Anyway, Im experimenting with nslookup, ipconfig, etc etc... I suddenly realize that I dont know how to make each command spit out all of its options, or flags or whatever they are called... I am imagining its something like:

ipconfig /help

but that isnt it apparently.. where is that old dos manual when i need it! So, im looking for the method to make a command like ipconfig spit out all of the info about itself.. so i can do nifty things like ipconfig /renew all and such. What is the correct term for the "/renew" part of the command anyway.... flag? option?

Thanks in advance,
Khris777, future guru of wi-fi =D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 khris777

khris777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 09:35 PM

hmmm, well..... i just discovered that it is /help! here's what happened... I entered a simple:
c:\blahblah\blahblah\blah\> nslookup
some info displayed here....

then instead of going back to the c:\ prompt, i ended up with a simple:
>
which apparently was still waiting for nslookup commands...
so i finally tried to close the whole window and typed "exit" which got me back to the c:\ promt where i tried ipconfig /help (it worked) and realized what was going on, kind of anyway.

So, instead of my original question can anyone tell me what exactly happened? I dont recall ending up at the > promt waiting for me to enter more instructons to ipconfig before. Still need to know what the /renew part of the commands are called as well.

Thanks AGAIN!

#3 travisb

travisb

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:11 AM

Add a new shortcut from your desktop to the following taget (I'm assuming you are using XP?)

%windir%\hh.exe ms-its:C:\WINDOWS\Help\ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm

Put %windir% in the Start in: field.

You will now see the DOS chm file supplied with XP

Enjoy :thumbsup:
My Skype status:

Posted Image

#4 morris

morris

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2005 - 05:15 PM

I entered this particular area, not really expecting it to be of any real content/value...

How wrong was I?

Nice one for the help file, that bugger slipped my attention while I was playing with my mouse :thumbsup:
If you get the time check my links below:

http://www.turntablism.info - music forum
http://www.qwertyhosting.com - affordable, reliable and secure hosting
http://www.tikka-d.co.uk - information regarding reverse engineering and lots of external links

#5 roelfrancois

roelfrancois

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 01:08 PM

i've got a problem.
i have to unregister a file using dos command.
i have to type a command after the following line:
c:/program files/creative/shared files
but the command line is:
c:/documents and settings/jsf
how can i change it?
thanks in advance.
roel francois, netherlands

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users