Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do The Kids Today (high School Level Only) Take An Intest In Politics? Should They?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Poppy32174

Poppy32174

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 05 October 2008 - 06:22 PM

BE HONEST... :thumbsup:

Poppy
:flowers:
Welcome Home Brothers
Nam vet 6/67 ~ 6/68
D-1/22th 4th Inf. Div.

Posted Image

"No matter how dark it is, you can always see a light"
-Thearitic Logics

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:05 AM

Yup, but only a few are actually very deeply interested in politics. Some are interested in studying politics, and some are interested in the politics going on right now.
A lot of people don't care, though.

I don't think it's important wether or not high schoolers take an interest in politics.

Edited by trashcan7, 08 October 2008 - 12:06 AM.

#3 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:09 AM

Now you mention it, MANY Young people take a very active part in Politics right around the World. They are called Children's/ Youth Parliments.

Here are a few Links to get the Discussion started. I personally think it is a wonderful thing to let young people speak out on what they consider a good thing for their Countries and even more wonderful that some Governments actually listen to them. People tend to forget that our young people are tomorrow's World Leaders.

http://www.gmfc.org/index.php/gmc6/content/view/full/259

http://www.i-s-w.org/en/parlement.html

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/journals/ILB/2000/32.html

There are many more on Google here.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&...nts&spell=1

:thumbsup:

#4 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:04 PM

Even when in high school and mainly thinking for themselves, many may be influenced by their parents. If parents don't vote and have constantly taught that 'nothing can be done', I would think these would likely be the kids that have the least interest in politics. A shame as their beliefs - and votes, as soon as they are able - will shape their worlds.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#5 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:20 PM

Actually my Parents haven't voted for about 20 Years which would mean in the times when Margaret Thatcher was PM, but that won't stop me voting.

I like to talk about a lot of things, Business, Technology, Sport and more recently Politics (Last Year or so) all being interests. But it does seem that not many my Age like Politics or any that I know anyway, we do Joke about voting for BNP (British National Party) but in all seriousness I will be voting for a Party that takes my Interest in what they will do if they get into Power, I have mentioned the Tories (Conservatives) before based on current circumstances but will see what other Parties do and consider then, when it is time to vote.

Edited by woodyblade, 09 October 2008 - 03:21 PM.

#6 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:45 PM

I think kids are, alot more than people realize. I have a grand daughter in HS who keeps telling me how great Obama is. I know she has not watched any debates or done any checking into either of the candidates. So she must be learning it in school. But what bothers me is they should not be teaching students what thier idea of a good politician is. If they are going to go into the subject, be neutral, show the good and the bad of both sides. Encourage them to find out on thier own and then make an informed decision. All I'm seeing is kids parroting either the parents or the teachers.

I think kids should pay attention to what is going on and remember for when they are able to vote, legally, and make thier own decisions.... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#7 JacksonT

JacksonT

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:20 PM

Most of us do get involved in politics to some degree, be it a passing interest, volunteering, or lying about your age to vote :thumbsup:. As for influence it comes from all over the place: Parents, friends, TV, etc.

Edited by JacksonT, 21 October 2008 - 11:21 PM.

#8 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:06 AM

Even when in high school and mainly thinking for themselves, many may be influenced by their parents. If parents don't vote and have constantly taught that 'nothing can be done', I would think these would likely be the kids that have the least interest in politics. A shame as their beliefs - and votes, as soon as they are able - will shape their worlds.

Yeah great, shape the world. I love when all the ignorant masses flock to the booths and mindlessly pull the lever for republican or democrat. Most people are stupid. They have no idea about any issues and they will probably vote based on,"Who would I rather have a beer with." The best way for us to shape the world would be to NOT Vote. If no candidate in the next election wins, then the American people can move in and clean up the government.
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

#9 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:11 AM

Yeah great, shape the world. I love when all the ignorant masses flock to the booths and mindlessly pull the lever for republican or democrat. Most people are stupid. They have no idea about any issues and they will probably vote based on,"Who would I rather have a beer with." The best way for us to shape the world would be to NOT Vote. If no candidate in the next election wins, then the American people can move in and clean up the government.

That right there is the Great Paradox that befalls America!

How the heck can you have a Democracy if you tell people not to Vote? Then basically say lets use Force to clean up the mess?

That is a True Paradox!

It is not even funny, it is really scarey!

Edit. What makes it worse is what happened to the Kennedys in the Past?
Will that happen again and completely destroy America?

America's Call to the World!

The World is waiting for it, even High School Kids know that.

Edited by Abacus 7, 22 October 2008 - 10:27 AM.

#10 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:31 PM

^^^^^
what are you talking about?
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

#11 Sniffels323

Sniffels323

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:47 PM

I think kids are, alot more than people realize. I have a grand daughter in HS who keeps telling me how great Obama is. I know she has not watched any debates or done any checking into either of the candidates. So she must be learning it in school. But what bothers me is they should not be teaching students what thier idea of a good politician is. If they are going to go into the subject, be neutral, show the good and the bad of both sides. Encourage them to find out on thier own and then make an informed decision. All I'm seeing is kids parroting either the parents or the teachers.

I think kids should pay attention to what is going on and remember for when they are able to vote, legally, and make thier own decisions.... :flowers:

I agree 100% My daughter's 10th grade Social Studies class were debating the candidates in the '08 election. The teacher handed out a lot more Republican propaganda than Democratic. The Republicans won the school debates. I couldn't help myself, but I had to place an Obama sticker on the front bumper of his SUV! It lasted there up until 3 days before the election! :thumbsup:
War is better at abolishing nations than nations are at abolishing
wars.

#12 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 06:39 PM

The teacher handed out a lot more Republican propaganda than Democratic.

And that is absolutely shameful. Schools do it all of the time though. They push political agendas, sexism, and biased viewpoints. I have one teacher this year that basically forced us into 5 minutes of silence in remembrance of 9/11. I can remember the fallen in my own way, and on my own time. I pay to go to school.. And whenever there was talk of politics, it heavily favored Democrats. In fact, there were 'bonus' questions on one of our tests that were favorable to Obama. I am old enough to be able to think for myself and realize when a teacher is being biased, but some of my classmates are young; they don't know enough to think for themselves yet. In high school, there is no place for personal views. That is (often) how stereotypes and biases propagate.

When student evaluations come up, I will be complaining about the political bias, and the 9/11 remembrance.

#13 scissorhands7

scissorhands7

• Banned
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 01:53 PM

Do kids take an interest or do kids do whats popular at the time?

Personally I'd say 10% actually do pay attention. 30% just get info from their parents and adopt their beliefs and views without reason. Another 40% get all the info off of late night comedy shows and from whatever their friends have told them about 5 second clips of someone's speach. And really the other 20% just don't give a hoot.

Kind of like real life huh?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users