Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Mode Won't Boot Up, I Get An Error That Automatically Shuts My Computer Down

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kikki fail

kikki fail

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 05 October 2008 - 04:47 PM

I had a bad virus on my computer and I wanted to boot it into safe mode. So I tried and everytime I tried it wouldn't work. I kept getting this message on a blue screen saying my video driver failed to initialize and it shut down automatically but it would boot up normal if I didn't try to go into safe mode.

So I read that you could set your computer to automatically boot into safe mode from msconfig so I went in and set it to boot into safe mode automatically every time I powered up. So I turned off my computer and tried to.

No matter what I do, no matter what option I select the blue screen with the error about my video driver comes up and it shuts down automatically.

What can I do to fix this? Anything? Is there a way to change the way my computer starts back up (to normal becuase the normal startup doesn't work) from before windows loads or away to access a DOS window or something?

I'm using XP home btw

Thanks for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 perr

perr

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 05 October 2008 - 04:50 PM

System restore from recovery console. Choices here.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=s...amp;btnG=Search

#3 kikki fail

kikki fail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:39 PM

I cannot even boot into the Windows XP CD. I put it in my CD drive and powered on and it didn't work. The F8 menu still comes up and nothing I change still works.

#4 perr

perr

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:42 PM

You will have set the bios to boot from the cd drive first, not the hdd. It will give you the option to boot from the cd. You have 5 seconds to say yes.

#5 kikki fail

kikki fail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:48 PM

I changed the bios to boot from the CD drive but it still presented me with the same F8 menu which still takes me to the blue screen error about the video driver.

#6 perr

perr

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:58 PM

Did you hit enter when it asked if you wanted to boot from the cd? Does the bios see the cd drive?

#7 kikki fail

kikki fail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:09 PM

I pressed F2 when it started up and moved the CD drive up to number 1 from the boot setting then I pressed Esc and saved and exited. Then when I restarted nothing had chang

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users