Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtumonde Guaranteed Kill Needed

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 marilynlake

marilynlake

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 05 October 2008 - 02:24 PM

Hello everyone, I need some guidance here. :thumbsup:

Virtumonde needs to be killed on my computer? Do you have a repair or kill for it that works? I downloaded, followed instructions and ran both programs from this site called VundoFix and Virtumundobegone, neither worked. This spyware first killed off Norton, gave me a script error so I could not install McAfee, both paid and beta versions. I am now running AVG, which occasionally identifies it, says it quarantines it, but it comes back, AND Spy Sweeper, which identifies it and sometimes gives messages of Quarantine Failed, and quarantineed, then it comes back again. Same results from Spy Bot Search & Destroy. :trumpet: I have a router, 2 hardwired computers, and 2 wireless laptops at home. I also run OpenDNS which reduces the barrage of crap IE windows opening to try to install malware virus software. The wireless laptops go to the office, so I am desperate to kill this thing before it spreads to the office network. The server at the office is Linux based, but the pc's are all xp and currently protected by Symantec Norton products, regularly updated and maintained, but probably vulnerable to Virtumonde, as I was using Norton on my home pc's and laptops. However, I suspect may have spread to the office as well, as files sent from there and installed at home have come up dirty with this thing. I have spent several all nighters trying to fight this on my HP laptop, which I need for business. Re-formatting is always an option, but it will take 6 hours to re install everything I need to restore the laptop, and I would rather beat this thing out of existence, and in the process help others as well. It was during my last late night foray, that I found this Bleeping group on Google. It is frightening that the best softwares aren't killing this thing. Perhaps McAfee has beaten it, as my main computer I am using right now, doesn't have the symptoms. Interesting that the infected HP laptop would not allow an install of McAfee, due to a scripting error. I got a fix from Microsoft for this, which might allow me to install McAfee.
Anyway, what do you think? We are in the Toronto area, so I am wondering if it is widespread here. Also, the ads by Google, that open in bleepingcomputer.com at this moment recommend going to
Virtumonde Remover-Pro.com and other potential malware, so the Admin team might want to look into this, before an unsuspecting newbie gets infected by these ads. :flowers:

Cheers, marilynlake

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 05 October 2008 - 02:33 PM

You may already have too many antivirus programs running, never run 2 on your computer at the same time,
malware scanners are a different story, you can have several, they don't run resident.

Let's try and start with one, MBAM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry944365

if that won't run try cureit

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry946779
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 marilynlake

marilynlake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 05 October 2008 - 04:09 PM

ok! I do only have one virus soft ware running, and that is AVG. I had to remove everything, Norton, Spybot S & D, Spy sweeper by Webroot,.. to attempt to install McAfee, which failed. So I reinstalled AVG which is the only one running, and reinstalled Spy Sweeper, which is a virus software. I am currently Beta trying Spy Sweeper's virus software, and it has found Tro/Virtum-Gen that no one else found, and will probably also still flag Virtumonde. If Spy sweeper's virus software can't kill this, (last try) I will definately try cureit. Thanks, Chewy!!

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2008 - 04:27 PM

MBAM is the best program for vundo and many others
Chewy

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2008 - 11:24 PM

so the Admin team might want to look into this, before an unsuspecting newbie gets infected by these ads.

those ads are part of your infection and have nothing to do with this forum

Please note I can't provide support by personal message, for every person that we can help in a thread there may be 10-20
who never post and help themselves from reading the threads here

This is a self help forum where we try to give sound advise that can help the majority of people with malware issues
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users