Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphical Output Feature

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 05 October 2008 - 12:57 PM

Hello all,

I'm looking for ideas on how to create a graphical output for a html form. For example a user fills out the form and submits it. This form is stored and then converted to a bar chart or something similar.

All ideas welcomed.
Regards,

Alan.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:59 PM

This can be done programatically. The form info gets sent back to the server. The server manipulates the data and creates a graphical representation, and returns it as part of an HTML page. Or you could use a javascript library.

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:24 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Is there a way to do this for the admin/owner/privileged member of a site? For example a site is created using a CMS like Joomla or Mambo. A user fills out the html form then the staff of the site can view the graphical output of the responses given by the user.

Or would a better way be to store the responses on the server then create a program that connects to the server accesses the table and generates an output?
Regards,

Alan.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:45 PM

Joomla is just PHP, so that would be a yes.

Or would a better way be to store the responses on the server then create a program that connects to the server accesses the table and generates an output?

If you mean a stand-alone program, you could do that also.

What is your definition of better? Better for maintenance? Better for implementation? Better for deployment? Think of it this way. Do want a car with great handling around the corners, but not so much top speed, a car with greater top speed, but doesn't handle as well, or a car that accelerates quickly, but does not have a high of a top end? On would be best for high-banked ovals, one would be best for road courses, and one would be best for the drag strip.

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:55 PM

Thats a good point, I suppose I would go for the car that had good handling.

I think the standalone idea would probably be best, I have had experience using Java to connect to a database so I'll try that first.

Cheers for your help groovicus.
Regards,

Alan.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 01:08 PM

Sounds like a good plan to me. :thumbsup:

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 01:21 PM

Hi groovicus,

Just thought I would post an update, I have made a Java based program that uses the JDBC connector to connect to a database and execute a SQL query that returns the table values. So its all good and works great.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users