Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Run Problem/ N O Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DAKOTAOH

DAKOTAOH

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:21 AM

i running xp home service pk 3
my computer will not start in safe mode its reboots back to safe mode selection screen
if i start the computer normally after the desktop loads i can not open any programs
if i click on a file that i have saved to my desk top under my documents i can see items but i have no controll over them
and programs on my desk top like spy bot will not open
and not all my items in my start up area are loading ant virus firewall and my litttle computer icon in the lower rt corner

if i let the computer sit on my desktop i loose my start controll button lower left and lower controll bar

i tried to go into system tools and restore to an earlier date but nothing happens when i try to access the program.

if i try to use the task manager i get an error the file or directory C:\windows\prefetch\taskmge.exe-20256c55.pf is corrupt and unreadable.please run ckdsk utilitu.

i am unable to get the check disk to operate as well

hope some one has an idea what to try next i have lost my orginal set disc fir the system in a move.
if i buy a new xp disc and try to relead or use the recover mode would this help?? or last thougt could i upgrade to vista
and load it would it help over wright some system problems

thanks

dakotaoh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:35 AM

What is the make and model of your computer?

If you can borrow a copy of the installation disk you should be able to access the Recovery Console where you will be able to run chkdsk. When you type in the command please notice the space between chkdsk and the /r, it should look like chkdsk /r.

Note: You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order to be able to boot from the Windows installation disk.

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the]Recovery Console.

4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER.

6. To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 DAKOTAOH

DAKOTAOH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:36 PM

WHEN RUNNING XP RECOVERY DISC IT GIVE ME A LONG LIST COMMANDS
FIX BOOT

MATER BOOT FIR

CKDISK
ETC

HOW DO I KNOW WHICH ONE TO RUN

THANKS
DAKOTAOH

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:43 PM

Type chkdsk /r, ensuring that there is a space between the k and the / :thumbsup:. Then hit Enter.

It will take some time to run...just let it run to completion. When it stops (there will be a summary onscreen, just type Exit, hit Enter (the system reboots).

Louis

#5 DAKOTAOH

DAKOTAOH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:27 PM

thanks louis

ran ck dsk as you suggested did not help still can not open my desktop programs

anyone got any other ideas

as a last thought is their any good soft ware to purchase tht will help me recover some files ,
i guess if i can find a way back in i will have to reload xp completely and loose all my docs and photos

dakotaoh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users