Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hooking Up Flatwire Stereo Speakers To A Pc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kanye

Kanye

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:15 AM

Hi, I have 2 older stereo speakers that haven't done anything but collect dust over the past few years. I know for a fact they still work. I would love to hook these up to my computer for a nice sound system. Problem is, they're flatwire, so I can't simply connect them to my sound card port. Actually I'm not even sure if it's called "flatwire", but the ends are cut off and the inside wiring is revealed, like these:

http://howtoinstallflatspeakercable.com/wp...ds/DSC_0042.jpg

http://img.en.china.cn/0/0,0,484,16677,360,256,34164239.jpg

http://img.alibaba.com/img/buyoffer/100182..._Wire_Cable.jpg

Is there anyway I can get them to hook up to my PC? Will I need to buy some kind of connector? How would I plug them in? On the back of the speakers it doesn't give much info but I'll provide whatever info I can.

Edited by Kanye, 05 October 2008 - 09:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kanye

Kanye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:29 AM

Ok on the back of the Speakers it says:

- Audio Research AR-4 AX speaker system
- Included: Woofer, mid range, dome tweeter, horn tweeter
- Frequency Response - 30 - 22,000 Hz
- Crossover Network - RLC with tweeter level control
- Max Power Input - 100 Watts RMS
- System - Acoustic Suspension
- Grill - Removable

And there's a dial on the back of it that can turn like a volume dial and the lowest point says "Minimum" and the highest says "Normal". Under that it says "Tweeter Control Level". Under that it has 2 sort of... connectors. One has a + and one has a -. Both have cut-off wires attached to them. Hope that helps.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:31 AM

Well, you have to have an amp. Plugging in speakers directly to the soundcard won't accomplish much.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 05 October 2008 - 12:07 PM

Any amp or receiver...or other device which can be connected to the computer and the speakers...will be necessary.

You will have to use a cable with RCA plugs to attach to the receiver/amp...and a DIN connection to attach to the speaker output connection on the computer. Example: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xjemreUCY6a/A...spx?I=043183185

Louis

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 05 October 2008 - 12:44 PM

The output of the audio is the equivalent of a output of a preamplifier, and the speakers that are used with computers have built in amplification. In order to use the AR speakers you will need to take the output of the computer and connect it to an Auxiliary input of a stereo. The cable that hamluis has suggested will work fine for that. The speakers can then be connected to the stereo.

One other thing that you should be aware of if you are using a CRT type monitor, the speakers that are designed for computer have shielding, this keeps the magnets from effecting the magnetic field of the CRT, if the speakers get too close it will cause distortion which will look similar to a aurora borealis.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users