Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Not Getting Signal- From Video Card Or Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zellchan

zellchan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:55 AM

Good morning all. I'm a newbie here, but I've been lurking for about a year.

This morning I was pulled from my warm, comfy bed by a distraught mother. Oh dear, something's gotten between her and her next hit from the sims. Groggily pulling myself out of the blakets and removing the cat now attached to my face, I went to see what the problem is.

Neither the video card or the VGA port off the motherboard are sending any signal to the monitor. Tried both vga ports with the card in. Tried another monitor, video card in. Took the video card out, tried both monitors, no dice. That was as much troubleshooting as I could figure. I'm getting no error beeps at all.

Computer is a Gateway GT5674, downgraded to windows XP pro.

Monitor #1 is an HP W2207h

Monitor #2 is an Acer AL1716

Video Card is an ATI 2400Pro PCI express

All connections are VGA. I checked three cables to make sure it wasn't that.

When I boot the machine, it happily hums to life, sends power to the speakers, hums merrily and whatever monitor that's hooked up sits at me staring with a finger up it's nose.

I'm afraid I'm more of a software person, though I'm pretty helpless in general when it comes to computers. So sleepily, I beg for help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:42 AM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer!

I would try resetting the cmos. If you have the manual, or if you look it up online, it can tell you the way to set the jumpers to do this. You can also just simply take the large watch battery out of the computer for a couple minutes (unplug the computer from the wall first, of course), and afterward, put it back in and try turning the computer back on.

If this doesn't help, I would suspect a failing power supply. Just yesterday I went to a ladies house to fix her computer. I tried a power supply I pulled from a dead system in her computer because her's wouldn't turn on at all. I hadn't tried that power supply so I didn't know if it worked or not. Anyway, it would turn the computer on, but would not give a display on the monitor. So I went home and got a power supply I knew worked, and of course the computer booted up fine, display and all.

Before you go out and buy one though, I would see if you could pull one from another computer just to see if it really is the problem. No display could also be caused by many other things such as a bad motherboard, or bad ram.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 zellchan

zellchan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2008 - 11:23 AM

Well, if it has a chance of being the power supply I'm gonna cash in on the warranty and my mother will just have to play Ps2 for a few weeks. I don't have spare hardware laying around to test it out, sadly.

Thank you very much though!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 05 October 2008 - 11:45 AM

When you removed the video card...did you enable onboard video in the BIOS...before booting?

Louis

#5 zellchan

zellchan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2008 - 11:57 AM

Is there a way to do that without seeing the bios?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 05 October 2008 - 12:16 PM

I don't think so.

Since this computer was designed for Vista...you may have a problem...since there may not be a driver for XP onboard video...which may be why a video card was being used.

I'd try the video card in another system before writing it off.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users