Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hd And Media Player In Apple Pc Mixup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gilesalban

gilesalban

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:16 AM

Hi there,

A friend has phoned me to help him out. He has borrowed his cousin's ARGOSY HV355 external HDD and media player, which he was connecting to his TV and Vista PC with no problems.

However, a friend turned up with a MacBook and they they plugged the thing in. They must have done something else for they told me they accepted some dialogue boxes and the MacBook started working away. They canceled the operation and unplugged the player from the MacBook. Now, when they plug the Argosy into the tv they get an "error 4", and when they plug it into the Vista pc it makes the bling blong soud of hardware being taken into the USB, but does not appear as a drive.

According to the Argosy documentation, an error 4 is:
The partition of the hard drive is wrong. Please format the first €œPrimary€
partition with NTFS or FAT32 file system.

What might the Mac machine have done to the Argosy?
What are the options for getting the Argosy back to its old self?

Thanks.

G

Edited by garmanma, 05 October 2008 - 12:15 PM.
make link work

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 05 October 2008 - 12:27 PM

Sounds like the Mac tried to format it to the Mac's file system, which is HFS or HFS Plus, I think.
I can't think of a way to save it. Hopefully somebody else knows
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 gilesalban

gilesalban
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 05 October 2008 - 12:34 PM

I have an ominous feeling you might be right Garmanma.

I've just been round to have a look and the windows disk manager for both XP and Vista recognises the presence of the device, but won't assign it a letter, and the only option that isn't greyed out on right click menu is "eliminate drive", which isn't what we want to do. Looks like it's going to be a run down to PCCity and hope that they can do something.

Unless anyone else here has a suggestion...

G

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users