Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virusremover 2008 Infection Help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Fallenseraph20

Fallenseraph20

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:24 AM

So I think I have been infected with VirusRemover 2008 (its what Spyhunter 3 found on its scan) and it has caused all sorts of problems on my desktop computer. It seems to be adapting itself to my attempts to fix it, as over the last 12 hours or so more and more stuff has been disabled. I have adaware, McAfee and Spyhunter 3 all downloaded, and I have purchased Spyhunter by using my laptop but it won't authenticate me on the infected computer. Now I have no access to the internet (it says page load error) and has disabled my access to my task manager (says my admin disabled it...but I AM the Admin). The task bar shows VIRUS ALERT! with my time in military time, and I keep getting several fake messages. I do not have Hikack this, and since I can't access the internet from that computer I am not sure how to get the program on the infected computer. Please help!! I am at my wits end, have been battling this with various programs for over 12 hours now.

Thanks in advance
Heather

Edited by Orange Blossom, 05 October 2008 - 11:44 AM.
Move from HJT forum to Am I Infected as there are no logs. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fallenseraph20

Fallenseraph20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:29 AM

Just wanted to say thanks soooooo much for the help *insert sarcastic laugh* This forum was highly recommended to me but I see that was a load of bs. Ended up reformatting my entire comp as no one could (or would) help. Thanks so bleeping much! :thumbsup:

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:13 AM

Ended up reformatting my entire comp as no one could (or would) help.

Sorry your thread was overlooked but we are all volunteers and sometimes a topic will get missed. The staff at BC and most on-line community forums are all volunteers who contribute to helping members as time permits us. In your case, your topic was moved from the HijackThis forum because you did not post a hijackthis log which is required for analysis before you can get assistance. Further, as that forum is so busy, it can take several days to get a reply from the HJT Team.

Sorry to hear about having to reformat but sometimes that is the best solution. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. The malware may leave so many remnants behind that security tools cannot find them. Starting over by wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS removes everything and is the safest action.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users