Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Refresh Rate/resolution problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jyank

jyank

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 29 April 2005 - 05:35 PM

So, last night some how (thinking the work of my sister) my resolution on 2k got changed to something my monitor can't handle. When booting up to windows the screen turns black and in my monitors text is says "75 / 60 - frequency out of range, try other resolutions" after about 10 seconds of being there, the PC will restart.

My first reaction was "meh, I can just boot into safe mode and fix this" Nope, in safe mode it won't let me change any option for my video card. Only thing it will show is the VGA adapter. It also doesn't have any options for different refresh rates other than "default". After this I uninstalled my video card and re-installed the driver, hoping that it would change it back to some default at like 800x600. This did not work either, I still got the black screen after uninstalling and re-installing. I tried updating the driver as well, but again that didn't work

I opened my PC and checked to make sure it was securely in, and it is - its something with the settings in windows for the montior because right now I'm running on Linux and its working just fine. What I was hoping to find, is some way to change this in the registry or something.. because I can't seem to get it to work any other way - I've even tried right clicking and trying to randomly try and get to the resolution screen at the desktop, but the PC would restart before I could finish.

So, any idea how I can get rid of this annoying problem?

PC specs just incase

mobo-ASUS A7N8X
Athlon XP 2400+
Radeon 9800pro
gig of ram

monitor is a mag innovision 19inch CRT (not sure of the exact model)

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caterbro

caterbro

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 29 April 2005 - 06:05 PM

boot it into safe mode and change the screen resolution to its lowest setting- 640x480 or whatever. see it that lets you boot normally- then you can mess around with the adapter's settings. you can also trying removing the video adapter from the device manager and then reboot. Windows will use a default hardware preset and then detect the device, etc. usually one of those two things cures this problem for me.

also, check that the monitor isn't using some wacky customized frequency settings- there's usually a 'set defaults' button in the monitor's settings menu.

hth-
Carl
----
Official puter fixer :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users